Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:59 AM   #1
jeepdad
Club Member

Cigar Competition: Who Knew

http://www.wsj.com/video/the-sport-o...ng_now_video_3
jeepdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:40 AM   #2
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdad View Post
I didn't know that there was any type of organized competition, but I did know that there are people out there who try to keep the ash as long as possible. As seen in the video clip, these people will smoke the cigar in awkward positions just to keep the ash from falling. To me, that would take the pleasure and relaxation from smoking my cigar. I don't want to be mentally timing each puff and having to hold my cigar exactly right so as to prevent the ash from dropping. But if these guys like that then who am I to criticize.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:50 AM   #3
bsslack
Herf Meister

Well, that's kinda weird. I am a very slow smoker anyway, but it never occurred to me to compete with someone while I do it. I guess people will compete/bet on Anything. My initial reaction to this is WHY? I would think it takes away from the experience. I smoke for the experience, to enjoy the cigar and relax. I cannot help but believe that competing with someone and focusing on all of that instead of the cigar experience itself, reduces the actual enjoyment of the cigar. I guess if you are posing anyway, it would not make any difference. Plus, it gives the lounge something to sell and to generate interest. I can see that, but that's not what I enjoy about cigars. Still it's an interesting story.

Would you do it?

Cheers!

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I guess it's like sports. Some people love to watch the games, others are only into the fantasy league part of the sport, while others are just gamblers.

Like the way you smoke and smoke the way you want.

As a side note, just watching that video clip made me want to light up. And I'm grateful that they provided captions for the video.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #5
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Long-ash contests have been common at large herfs for years. Oftentimes there have been prizes. We've never done it at any of our Gulf Coast Herfs, but I've seen photos from the old Cigar Weekly Anniversary Herfs where there were long-ash contests, power-herf contests (who can finish first....) and other things to entertain the guests.

We've had good and interesting people at our Gulf Coast herfs over the years, and we've simply wanted to be together and talk, share life, without too many distractions.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #6
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

When you think about it, there aren't too many ways to compete with a cigar. Smoking the fastest is one way, but then you end up with a bunch of guys about to turn green. The other way is smoking slowly, with a long ash, and no relights. The second method of competing seems like the better choice to me.

Other competitions could include questions on cigar knowledge, but that wouldn't involve smoking itself. When you want to include smoking in the competition, there's only so much you can do.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:31 AM   #7
mannish
Herf God

There has been bunches of times when I had long ashes and tried to see how long it would go. I think it's pretty cool, I don't bet on it but still think it's cool
Old 01-08-2018, 11:56 AM   #8
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I primarily smoke indoors, so I don't like the ash to get too long because it inevitably ends up on my shirt, lap, and/or chair.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
bigipps

Yeah, ok for a novelty. Like a pie eating contest at the fair. Except those don't last 3 hours...
Old 01-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #10
Smokestack Jack
Herf God

Up next, a new cigar fantasy league!