Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
N8DCJ
Club Member

making stock/broth

Ok , for the last several months we have been making stock...

every week I buy a whole chicken or turkey breast cook it for the girlfriends lunches for the week ( get 2 weeks from a chicken , 3 weeks from turkey breast , whole turkey might double that).

This week is vegetable broth since still have a supply of chicken for the week ..

my typical ingredients depending on what we have left over is...

Carrots, celery , onion , shallots , parsley and or thyme , peppercorns , bay leaves ,green pepper ... this week I added leeks... if its a chicken/ turkey week then the remnants of that too...

I haven't yet tried roasting the carcasses (sp?)... I did the veg's a little this weekend...

then I dump a bunch of water over it all and bring the whole mess to a boil then turn down to simmer , let it go 3-5 hours depending what I am doing , I have read that very diminishing returns after about 2 hours...

edit... i should add , then we freeze it in 2 cup portions , need to find better containers than ziplocks too...

always looking for new/better ideas...

thoughts...

Dan

Last edited by N8DCJ; 03-04-2018 at 01:44 PM.
N8DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote