Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
TNote

Jose L. Piedra Brevas 2006

Well, after all the debate on this cigar I decided it was time for me to make my own decision about this value priced gar'. Let's me first start off by saying this - you get what you pay for - and then some I think.

I don't normally take notice of a cigars looks when I take them out of their boxes unless I notice a paricularly beautiful wrapper and sheen to them. Well, I did notice these, but for the total opposite reasons! These have got to be the roughest, ugliest looking cubans I've come across to date. Plain and simple, the wrapper colors are inconsistent, not to mention some resemble raw hide, and the odd blotch every now and then just makes this one look like the poster child of unwanted pleasures.

That said, I punched a hole in the "ugly duckling" because I felt like rolling the dice. Oh, and take my word for it, you will want to use a punch for these because of the short filler. Otherwise, you'll be in for a very miserable smoke. Pre-light draw was just straight black tobacco.

Upon lighting, I noticed that the first few puffs tend to be a tad harsh until the burn sets in. Then I must say, you get what you pay for, nothing extravagant, but a nice cuban twang straight through. The one flavor profile I have noticed is about at the half-way point. A strong nutty flavor makes it's presence which is quite tasty! Unfortunately, this is short-lived as it returns quickly to the staright cuban twang that it's known for. Maybe time will help bring this out? Who knows, but interesting...

As you gather, more of the same for the finish.

So what did I think about these? Well, let me first say that I think there is a time and place for this cigar as any other cuban I've smoked. I have been through about six to eight of these up to date and have to say there's something about them that keeps me coming back to them. Maybe it's the fact that they are a great cigar when out on the boat fishing for a quick one (you don't feel bad if you don't decide to finish it and get back to matters at hand). Or the fact that the taste is still superior to 98% of most NC's that I have tasted. Naaaah, it's definately the price!!!!

Bottomline - If you want a good tasting gar' and a reasonable price then look no further. If you're looking to decipher all the nuances that alot of the higher priced cigars have to offer, then don't bother, you'll only be dissapointed...

I for one will keep some on hand. I would think that age will only make them better as most cubans I've tried.

T