Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
Black Plague
Herf Meister

A whisky-soaked day in Montreal with jazznut

I've been in Montreal the past few days on a business trip, and today I got a call from none other than CW's own Doug "jazznut" Kuebler. I'd tried to meet him during the week at the local La Casa del Habano on Rue Sherbrooke, but work had kept me late and I couldn't make it.

Around noon I met Doug at the LCDH, enjoyed a RyJ Ex4 while he partook in a SC Principe in the LCDH lounge with some cups of cappuccino. I even got to fulfill one of my wishes by having Doug write a review of his smoke in my cigar diary. Not only that, but Doug was generous enough to bring and sign a copy of his Tumbler's Guide to Single Malt Scotch, both the field guide and armchair reference, plus some very nice plantation chocolate. In return, I gave Doug a selection of different Pepin Garcia smokes (which are unavailable in Canada) to try out.

After our smoke, we went down to the SAQ Signature liquor store in downtown Montreal, and the Master of Malts himself helped me select a nice bottle of Balvenie 1993 port wood finish.

We followed that up lunch at Les Tres Brasseurs brewpub, with some juicy chargrilled burgers and a pitcher of their white wheat beer.

After that, Doug insisted I come over to the Casa del Jazznut, meet his lady and the cats, and have a drink.

...Which turned into about four or five drinks!

I'd mentioned how I tried in vain to find Japanese whisky of any sort around where I live. Doug promptly produced a bottle of Nikka Yoichi single malt, produced in Yoichi on the island of Hokkaido, and we had a glass. We both agreed that Japanese malt can be astoundingly good, just as tasty as its Scottish brethren. As most will tell you, certainly not for Islayphile peat addicts, but a very nice Scotch in the old Highland style with a nice medium-smoked finish. Doug himself imagines Yoichi is probably how Highland malts tasted in the 40's and 50's.

Next was a nice little rarity: a Rare Malts cask strength bottling of Brora, Clynelish's sister distillery in the northern Highlands, now sadly mothballed. Such an unusual malt: noses like you're huffing gasoline and has the most unique peated flavor to it that is completely unlike anything on the island of Islay or anywhere else in Scotland. If your a peat fiend, and someone offers you a bottle in exchange for your first-born, you should seriously consider the generous offer . Why they closed this distillery in favor of only Clynelish (which is good too, don't get me wrong) is beyond me.

Then I was treated to another rare and unusual whisky, an Arran limited edition bottling finished in Italian Amarone wine casks. The stuff noses like a glass of maple syrup, very sweet and thick. On the palate, not as sweet, a little more spicy, but the finish just clamps onto your tongue with lots of oak. Then Doug had me partake in a little experiment of adding a few drops of water and watching how it became an entirely different animal. The oak was still there, though not as aggressive, and the malt took on a more ethereal quality. Absolutely delicious! He even snuck a little 50ml bottle of it in my pack for the trip home.

We were discussing rye whiskey at one point, and what does Doug do? Pulls out a bottle of AH Hirsch rye! Again, another knockout whiskey, up there with great ryes like Van Winkle Reserve and Rittenhouse with that great mixture of flavors: bitterness, fruity sweetness, and a spicy tongue-tingling lingering finish, yet smooth as silk.

....I think I would had another dram after this, but I honestly can't remember

After that, we had a good dinner at a local fusion cuisine restaurant, me with Chicken and Shrimp Satay and Doug having the fillet mignon, over a glass of one of Doug's favorite sleeper brands of Spanish Granacha and called it a night.

I'd say my liver is pretty much shot for the day.

Doug, thanks so much for the overwhelming hospitality in food, drinks, conversation, and company. You're a great BOTL online and even better in person. I now have some great souvenirs and great memories of Montreal to take home with me!
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote