Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2003, 07:45 AM   #1
Bernie*C

Rediscovering aromatics

I've smoked a pipe for almost forty years. I've never collected pipes, though, at times, I've "accumulated" up to fifty at one time. I've never paid much attention to nomenclature, etc. because I've never traded or sold a pipe, or bought one to appreciate in value. I buy them to smoke. A few years ago, I ridded myself of many drugstore pipes that I realized just didn't smoke very well. Now, I've whittled down the number of my pipes to about twenty...Savinelli, Stanwell, Aldo Velani, Boswell, Bosi. My primary smokers these days, however, are Kirstens. They smoke dry, irrespective of the fact that there may be casing on the tobacco.

For years I smoked straight Virginias. I'd even say that for a period of five years I smoked nothing other than Macbarens Virgina #1. I just loved it. I also smoked alot of Three Nuns when it was more easily available.

Then I fell into smoking traditional English latakia blends. Anything without orientals and latakia, just seemed flat. This went on for years.

I used to ridicule my older brother who always smoked Danish aromatics. I once suggested that he just soak his tobacco in Air Wick.

A couple of months ago I had an aromatic epiphany. I was given some of Peter Stokkebye's aromatic blends. I thought I'd never muck up one of my pipes with these aromatics. Well...I filled one of my older Kirstens with a Stokkebye blend, cased with what appears to be vanilla. I'd dried the tobacco first by putting about an ounce in a cedar cigar box and letting it sit over night. The smoke was very mild, non-biting, and exceedingly aromatic. I really enjoyed it. So, for a while, I am an aromatic man. I even found a vendor who sells most Peter Stokkebye aromatics for $12 to $13 a pound.
Bernie*C is offline   Reply With Quote