Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
bolivar

Thumbs down Paul Garmirian Artisan’s Passion Super Robusto

A store that has a good relationship with PG in my area got these smokes early. I thought I would pickup one of these “affordable” cigars from PG. This smoke is reported as a Dominican puro.

The cigar was firm with a somewhat toothy dark wrapper. The cap looked like it was applied by an rookie. The wrapper was obviously overstretched when applied.

The cigar burned on the hot side. It had an even cole when I ashed.

The flavor of this cigar had a one dimensional taste of metal which was very un-enjoyable.
bolivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Sancho Panza
Floridays
Herf God

in his book, PG's humidors are FULL of Havanas

William Faulkner, Intruder in the Dust 1948
Sancho Panza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
xavier
Club Member

I am surprised.....Since there realease over the 4th of july weekend I have smoked a box of short robusto and half a box of of the Toro size. They are spicy, full bodied cigars, deliciously flavorful.

Bolivar, what are the cigars that you smoke usually ( I am asking to find out your preferences).

Sancho, that book is over 30 years old, His humidor has changed I assume??

I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, where rumors, true or false, are often revealing...Col Hans Landa
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
cigarlibrarian

I got to meet Paul Garmirian at his retail outlet in McLean VA. Really a class act, very nice guy, interesting to talk to and even cut me a price break on a box of 15th Anniversary sticks.

Sorry to hear you didn't like the cigar. I've always had great luck with PGs.
If you're ever in the DC/Northern VA area I would highly recommend paying a visit to his store in McLean.
cigarlibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier View Post
Bolivar, what are the cigars that you smoke usually ( I am asking to find out your preferences).
I honestly don't have a preference per say. I love singles and have always had a difficult time staying with one thing for very long. Here's a list of some of my most recent smokes that I've enjoyed.

Cubao
Viaje 50/50
Illusione Epernay
Opus X
Drew Esates Liga Privada
Tatuaje Cabaiguan
Joya de Nicaragua Cabinetta
Fuente Anejo
Casa Magna Claro
La Aroma De Cuba Edicion Especial
Berger & Argenti
Quesada Tributo Julio
Illusione Candela
bolivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

I haven't tried this one, nor can I recall ever having tried a PG cigar at all, but that metallic impression is one I get in virtually all Dominican cigars. There are a few exceptions (mostly produced by La Aurora), but it's one reason I tend to gravitate away from Dominican cigars in general.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
cigarfan
Herf God

I tried some PG cigars...way back..in the 90s...and they were actually very good.
At the time, out of my price range ($8-$9 a stick) and that was before the boom.
But I found them to be well constructed, with a smooth draw..and almost creamy smoke. Very enjoyable. Just too expensive of a cigar for me to smoke on a regular basis.

I wasn't aware PG cigars were still being made till I saw this thread.