Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-15-2005, 10:49 PM   #1
BARhondaracing20
Starting Member

$$$ Graycliff Red Label Pirate (Torpedo) $$$

I typically dont stretch for super premiums often, but a few friends and I decided to treat ourselves grab some before heading back to school. I usually dont purchase torpedoes or other figurado shapes either, but since I was pot comitted, I decided to give it a chance. And looking back, I am glad I did so.

Upon pre-light, the wrapper looked great, with few distinct veins, and was rolled superbly, with no wrapper flaking and or loose creases, and the Graycliff bands are beautiful as well. They are up there with the OpusX and the Don Lino Africas (I collect bands FYI in case that sounded strange). After cut and light, it came to life with a medium draw and a nice even burn. Only one touch up was needed 2/3 of the way through, and wasnt completely required either. The flavors of this 'gar are very unique, and are to be desired. It was a little earthy to begin with, but semi-creamy and smoothe as well. About halfway into it, a little spiciness came out, but not enough to overpower the tastes already present, just compliment them. The flavor is relatively similar for the rest of the smoke, with a little less spice towards the close (which I personally enjoyed). The ash on this bad boy was something of a dream. Virtually no flaking or leaning at all. It was nearly a solid white column, as smoothe as the wrapper. The ash doesnt stay as long as others I've smoked, but is still a sight to be seen. It was worth the money just to see how great it ashed.

My overall impression of the Graycliff Red Label Pirate Torpy is one of praise. They really do cigars well (and should for the price!). I paid $20 for this stick, and dont regret it at all. There are better smokes to be had for less money (Torano anyone?), and if youre an ardent full-bodied man, you may not be totally in to this (although my friend had an Espresso Robusto and amost died (figuratively)), but it is a really good smoke. Unless youre a CEO of a Fortune 500 company, or just plain nuts, I wouldnt advise this as an every day smoke, but once in a while you will be delighted with this expensive but nice little stogie.

9.1 out of 10 Great cigar

Sidenote: If anyone has tried any of the Emerald Graycliffs, if you could, please link a review or PM me with your impressions. They look EXTREMELY good, and I am thinking about ordering a 5-Pack since my local shop doesnt carry them. Thanks!

Thanks Drew. Keep it up
BARhondaracing20 is offline   Reply With Quote