Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2002, 05:13 PM   #1
nivek
Club Member

Ok here is cigar #3 out of 5, this cigar was given by spiridon! Thank you!

Spiridon

Aesthetics: This Corona sized cigar has a nice even, medium brown tint to it. A nice looking stick. Slightly oily in
appearance.....no blemishes on the wrapper.

Score for aesthetics- 3 of 5

Construction: A nice solid feel to it, with a good size/weight ratio.....a nicely filled cigar with no soft spots. Upon lighting, the ash
settles in to a firm, solid medium grey. The draw is just the way I like it, a bit of resistance, but certainly not "hard". A few minutes
into the cigar now........and it's burning "dead-on" with no touch ups needed.

Score for construction- 4 of 5

Flavor and strength: The taste?....I'm not too adept at putting "flavor labels" on cigars, but I would call this a spicy, medium/full
flavor, medium + in strength cigar. I like the spiciness, and I like the abundance of smoke produced. Mmmmmmm, as I continue
to burn this one.....it gets better and better. Razor straight burn, lots of nice spice.......a lot of rich flavor here! As I get about
halfway thru I get that nice little nasal burn that I like.....yes, this is one that I like.
This stick burns great all the way to the nub.....never geting bitter ar hot, staying consistent all the way.

Score for flavor and strength- 4 of 5

General Comments: This is a cigar that I like.....I like the taste profile, and I like the stength. Would definitely keep these on hand
at all times. If you like a rich spicy smoke with a good bit of strength, you need to try one of these!

Overall score- 4 of 5

I would highly recommend this cigar to my friends! In fact I probably already do as I must confess I'm 99.9% sure I know what this
one is, and therefore probably biased in my opinion. But I gotta tell ya, I enjoy this cigar!

Natgolfer

Aesthetics: Slightly box pressed, firm to the touch, lightly veined, light brown wrapper,
petit corona size.

Score: 4

Construction: Firm, good box press, very nice cap, fragile wrapper, prelight draw very good,
even burn, nice draw, ample smoke, gray ash, firm and flaky.

Score: 3

Flavor and Strength:
Flavor: fairly mild, grassy, weak finish and aftertaste.

Strength: mild

Score: 2

General comments: Disappointingly weak and mild, with very little flavor. I wouldn't buy
these. Nothing but god looks. Turned out to be a waste of good butane.

Overall scorefor the cigar: 2

Recommendation: Not much to recommend here. If you tend toward mild, non-flavorful cigars,
then this one might be for you.

Nivek: Aesthetics: 3.9

Good looking cameroon wrapper with a couple water spots, fairly oily!

Construction: 4.2

Well made petite corona, no soft spots with a great draw with billows of smoke! Perfect Burn!

Flavor and strength: 4.5

Sweet and creamy medium to strong cigar, this was a very enjoyable smoke, slightly peppery finish! This was a nubber!

Overall:4.3

Very nice cigar, has strength and it is flavorful, definately a keeper. Sorta reminds me of the La Luna African Fuertes!

I highly recommend this cigar!!!!!

Grinnin: Aesthetics: 4

Very pretty, square pressed medium brown wrapper with a nice sheen. Though wrapper had a couple prominent veins, it is very neatly
wrapped, with a nice cap. Looks like a well made Habano but no triple cap.

Construction: 2.5 AKA Adventures in cigar Doctoring!!!

The cigar was even and firm, and looked beautiful but was bunched way too tight, especially at the head. Hence the draw was very difficult.
The flavor was very encouraging, I made a project of working on the draw first by re cutting the head, and then excavating with a small drill
bit. Once the head of the cigar softened up a little and about half way through the smoke, I was able to pull out some of the filler wrapped
around the drill bit, and the draw eased up. It was very frustrating not being able to get enough smoke, 'cause the flavor was good. Burn was
straight, and ash was very solid and light gray.

Flavor/ strength: 4.5

Smelled like sweet hay before lighting. It started with a thin dry woody flavor and short-medium finish, which stayed consistent until I was
able to get it drawing better. Once I could get some more smoke through it, the flavor really opened up, the body filled out and the aftertaste
fully developed. Some coffee and spice came and went, and there was the certain Je ne say qwa of a good Habano.

General comments: I hated having to fight to get the smoke out of this stick, but the demolition project paid off. Had it not been for the bunch
being much too firm, this cigar would have been a total winner. Excellent flavor if you can get to it!

If these generally draw better I’d buy a box in a heartbeat. I smoked this to the tiniest nub.

Overall score: 4.2

Recommendation: despite the draw problem, recommended

CloneK: Aesthetics: This cigar was fairly veiny. More than I like anyway. The wrapper was coarse with an oily sheen to it. It looked to
be a Cameroon wrapper, but it had odd brown patches here and there. All in all I’d say this was a fairly ugly cigar, but the
patches of brown gave it some character.

2.2 Of 5.0

Construction: Pre-light this cigar was firm as could be, with just two small soft spots. The draw was almost perfect for me.
Once lit, the draw became even better, and the soft spots firmed up. Not a huge smoke producer. Had a dark grey to black
ash, which was very firm, and held on for a long while. I had to force the ash to give in. It burned as evenly as any cigar I have
ever smoked, and not once did it try to go out.

4.3 Of 5.0

Flavor and Strength: Spicy is the name of the game. But a good spicy. About two puffs in the spice quotient kicks into
overdrive, and never let go. Could taste some light peppery flavors, and some woody traces as well (mostly cedar). The spicy
flavor kept building throughout the length of the cigar, and actually was just as good in the final third as the first. That is saying
a lot, because generally I hate this profile. But this one was just, well, good. The strength was maybe medium, a little more
here and there.

4.6 Of 5.0

General Comments: The fact that I hate this flavor profile, and loved this cigar is what I really took away from this experience.
Forget all the looks; this one had the goods in the flavor department. If I had to guess, I would compare it to the CAO
Extreme cigars I’ve smoked, except this one tasted good. This would be a milder, less peppery tasting version of the
Extreme. I would also guess Spiridon enjoyed this cigar from his past posts. Not much else, this was just flat out a great
tasting smoke. Thanks!

4.5 Of 5.0

Recommendation:

I would go somewhere in between Highly Recommend and Recommend leaning the way of highly. I really enjoyed this
smoke, and can’t wait to find out what it was. If you like the spicy/peppery favor profile even a little bit, you owe it to yourself
to try one of these. It was that good.

Overall rating:

aesthetics: 3.4

Construction: 3.6

Flavor and stength: 3.9

Oveall: 3.7

Calling spiridon calling spiridon! We gots to know that this is!!!!