Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 03-20-2017, 06:03 AM   #1
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

Just Grilled Cheese Sandwich

I was with a friend enjoying fine cigars over the weekend, and the topic of grilled cheese sandwich was discussed. For me, I like to mix up some provolone (or mozzarella), sharp cheddar, American cheese, and blue cheese. I like to use sourdough bread because of the texture and light crunch on the crust. Sometimes I use Country White Bread. I mix a little butter with some crushed garlic to spread on the bread before pan frying. Sometimes I use Miracle Whip mayo instead of the butter. Sometimes I add some chopped bacon into the cheese mix just because its bacon. The cheeses, bread, that garlic butter spread (or Miracle Whip), and the bacon make a great grilled cheese sandwich.

What's your favorite Grilled Cheese recipe?
SLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 AM   #2
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Never used Mayo as the butter before, but I guess that could work.
The only bread I touch these days is the low carb / double fiber stuff. But it works for a grilled cheese.

Mix butter and grated Parmesan cheese, maybe a little garlic powder, and butter the bread. Warm up some slices of lunch meat ham (or salami, or left over steak sliced thin...) put one slice of bread down in the hot pan. Put 2 slices of smoked gouda, or swiss, then some of the ham. Put some shredded cheddar, then more ham. Couple more slices of cheese, and then put the other bread on top. Check the bottom bread for toastyness... then carefully flip it and grill till the other side is toasty too and the cheese is all gooey!
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:31 AM   #3
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Tried the mayo method. Burns easier than butter, so reduce the heat and watch it carefully if you want to try it. Growing up, mom spread miracle Whip on both pieces of bread and cut a big hunk of Velveeta cheese before spreading it with margarine and grilling it. Served with Campbell's tomato soup.

I won't claim it is the best, but it is comfort food.

Best grilled cheese starts with sourdough bread.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:33 AM   #4
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Agree that a grilled cheese (and whatever) sandwhich goes fantastic with soup! Beth and I had the sandwiches described above on Saturday, with some home-made chicken noodle!
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Old 03-20-2017, 07:49 AM   #5
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Mom always made the soup with milk instead of water and put a dollop of sour cream on top.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #6
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

That's the alternate recipe on the can. makes it "cream of tomato" instead of tomato. Hold the sour cream for me, but yeah, LOVE the cream of tomato soup!

Now I'm craving a grilled cheese. One with bacon and tomatoes melted in with a bunch of cheddar...