Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2002, 08:56 AM   #1
JayMonster

Style: Conquistador (6 1/8” x 52)
Price Paid: $9.00 (Thanks NJ lawmakers)

Appearance: 19/20 - A simply stunning cigar. If you needed to take a cigar to put in a glass case and display this would be the one. Rich dark brown with a shiny oily sheen. No major veining to distract you from the lines of the cigar.

Construction - 19/20 - I expect no less from a cigar made by Torano, and even under the CAO label, they do not disappoint. No hard or soft spots. Clips clean as a whistle. Despite being a very well packed parejo, the draw is dead on perfect. Not tight, not loose... PERFECT.

Taste - 45/50 - This is where I was really taken back by this cigar. Expecting earth shattering power on par with some of the best cubans (as I have heard at least one person comment ). It fails miserably in this regard and those that have humidors full of cubans and/or "Fuerte" cigars only may be put off by the lack of power. For me, this however is not necessarily a bad thing. A solid earthy flavor that definitely had some nose to it. I can not normally (with the rare exception) smell a cigar while I am smoking it. This is one of those exceptions and it is good... very good. A slight hint of cedar and coffee on the finish round out a flavorful tasty and only slightly one dimensional smoke. I say one dimensional in that the cigar does not vary from start to finish. What you taste at the beginning is what you taste at the end. No building to a grand crescendo, no tailing off or bitter ending. Which is again fine since the beginning is good enough that you want to taste more.

Overall - 7/10 - Rich tasty and satisfying. Not much more that you can ask for. A little bit maybe, and that may have more to do with the expectations set on the new Criollo wrapper as being the "next coming" or "next big thing" than anything else. Would have liked just a little more kick to the cigar, but it is certainly not hurting because of it.

Total - 90/100 - As always (from me) CAO gets a little ding for their price point, although I am aware that I paid local retail and sin tax which made it that much more painful. Other than that, I can't say that I am upset that I paid this price for the cigar. I will smoke them far less than I would if they were several dollars cheaper, but I will certainly have some of these sitting in my humidor in the future.

- Sacha Guitry
JayMonster is offline   Reply With Quote