Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
H311oLHD
Herf Meister

Starbucks Via Ready Brew

As everyone knows, Starbucks announced its going to release its new Starbucks Via Ready Brew (instant coffee). Has anyone had the opportunity to try some yet?

Right now Seattle, Central Illinois, and Chicago are the test markets for the product (as well as over seas----not sure where though). I know the company is offering up free samples of the product on their website, so I was wondering if anyone received theirs yet?

Last Friday I had a meeting with my store manager and co-workers and we were given the opportunity to try the Italian Roast version of the Via Ready Brew. I have to say, I was extremely suprised by the taste. I've had other instant coffees before (shhh) when I lived in the dorms, and those were okay, but not good. Basically if I could sum up my experience without being all "YAY STARBUCKS", it has the flavor of Starbucks roast, without much of the aftertaste. The bold flavor of the Italian Roast isn't as pronounced as it is when it is brewed, but its still enjoyable.

Hopefully you guys will receive samples soon, and if you don't..I can see if I can get my hands on a few for you.

Oh, and I have to say....nothing beats brewed coffee.
Rest In Peace Cubano.
Charter Member, MCLC
“Making others green with envy”™
H311oLHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
EdT

I signed up when I saw the first notice on this board about it but have not received a sample yet. I will give you my honest opinion when it arrives.

Being president is like being a jackass in a hailstorm. There's nothing to do but to stand there and take it.
Lyndon B. Johnson
EdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
chipslave
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdT View Post
I signed up when I saw the first notice on this board about it but have not received a sample yet. I will give you my honest opinion when it arrives.
Ditto.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
qajariaq
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Anyone else receive/try their samples yet?

My review:

The dry aroma is much like that of stale ground coffee. Brewed, the flavor is mediocre at best, which is quite a lot better than the old instant stand-by's, but tolerable if you have no other options. It has a rather silty mouth feel to me, much like you get with a french press and too fine a grind, but in a nastier sort of way. Once the cup cools, it is more or less indistinguishable from any other instant coffee, sort of a nutty fungal flavor. I couldn't tell much difference in flavor between the Colombian and Italian Roast. YMMV.

Hey, somebody pass me the home roast...
qajariaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

A "nutty fungal flavor," eh? Woo hoo, sign me up!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
ElkTwin

Sounds like it would make a good Cruex latte.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #7
SmoKerch
Herf God

Toe cheese on Triscuits.

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:06 PM   #8
H311oLHD
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by qajariaq View Post
Anyone else receive/try their samples yet?

My review:

The dry aroma is much like that of stale ground coffee. Brewed, the flavor is mediocre at best, which is quite a lot better than the old instant stand-by's, but tolerable if you have no other options. It has a rather silty mouth feel to me, much like you get with a french press and too fine a grind, but in a nastier sort of way. Once the cup cools, it is more or less indistinguishable from any other instant coffee, sort of a nutty fungal flavor. I couldn't tell much difference in flavor between the Colombian and Italian Roast. YMMV.

Hey, somebody pass me the home roast...
Thanks for the honest review! There's no doubt, home roast KILLS this coffee...but lets be honest, they are completely different animals. I think it's cool that you were willing to give it a shot.

Since the release of VIA, most days I take brewed coffee (home roasted) to class with me, but for those days when I'm running late I've been drinking VIA. I prefer Colombia Roast over the Italian.
Rest In Peace Cubano.
Charter Member, MCLC
“Making others green with envy”™
H311oLHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:00 AM   #9
ferdelance
Herf Meister

Got mine in a few says ago. It taste similar to "Tasters Choice" . I guess there is a market for it as my mama only drinks "Tasters Choice". Somehow I don't think that is the demographic they are trying to reach. My mama didn't care for it at all either. I guess she has some standards in freeze dried coffees.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
SmoKerch
Herf God

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote