Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

Greycliff Espresso Torpedo Shaggy

Cigar : Greycliff Espresso Torpedo Shaggy (foot)

Country of Origin: Bahamas

Size : 7 5/8 x 54

Price : Also UNK as it was a generous gift from Cigar Brother, Assumed.

Pairing : Ron Centenario Fundacion XX Anos Reserva Especial (Costa Rica)

Appearance : This is a hansome cigar. It's larger than normal length and girth, both give it presence. The uniform Dark Cocoa coloration of the Beautiful Wrapper only adds to it's appeal. The Shaggy untrimmed end, which has appeared on a few cigars lately, also adds to the intrigue.

Construction : The Wrapper is smooth and oily to the touch. I detected no 'soft spots', the foot does not count. The Fine Veining along the entire wrapper, dresses it out nicely.

Pre-Light : This is a hefty sized cigar. I Whip out the trusty Xikar teardrop cutter and trim off a half inch. The draw is light, but not too light. Flavor on the draw is subtle, Cedar, Herb and just a touch of sweetness.

Ignition : The Shaggy foot takes a bit to get it going...........Yaaaaah!

Warning The Surgeon General and OSHA submit the following Warning!
When igniting Rustic finished cigars take extra care! Not for Your lungs, but for Your Chest, Skin and Surrounding Upholstery! Said roughly finished Cigar has no Safety Barrier (wrapper) to control or constrain it's free movement or subsequent migration, upon ignition!
We now return You to Your regular review program.

Post Ignition Emergencia: Alrighty Then, Now that I am wearing a Shirt, Longer short's and have turned the fan away from me, We can continue.

Back to Cases : Right! After re-lighting "The Flaming Torpedo of Death!" uhm, I mean the Greycliff Espresso Shaggy Torpedo. Initially the flavor is a bit muddled, but I am definitely getting some pepper through.

OK, now that We are into the cigar proper, things have improved substantially. The Cedar and wonderful Herbal tones are coming through plus a touch of Pepper.

At 6 inches this Cigar has come alive! The Pepper that was muted now comes on strong and the others, while present take a back seat, in the profile. This cigar does what only a few can do, it makes my mouth water. The Red Peppercorn spice is Dominating the experience. Now that is not to say that it is overpowering, but it is definitely the Boss of the Beach right now.

I can easily say that this is the most potent Greycliff that I have Ever had. The ash is now firm and very predictable, just over an inch and the Salt-N-Pepper Grey ash drops off. Very Safely, I might add.

The Rum pairing is a nice counterpoint to the spicy Bahamian. The XX Rum, with a touch of Citrus and a splash of cola, works well to prepare my palate for the Spice DeJour. The burn is a bit wavy at times, but never wanders far. So, no touch-ups as yet. I did re-clip the head to open it up a touch. I always clip conservatively to start anyway.

I am a notoriously slow smoker, so an hour in and I'm at 4.5 inches. (no, that does not count the Flaming chest hair time-out) Since We hit Wrapper this has been a Stellar Smoke. Full flavor on all fronts and variety too boot! As You may have noticed I Like this cigar Very Much. If this is 4 to 5 years old, I can only imagine what a Handfull it was like fresh! I have always enjoyed the Greycliff product, but many times longed for a more Robust blend. High Quality meets High Octane, I Love it!

At just under 4 inches the cigar transitions into a more sedate profile. The other elements come back into the limelight. The spice is still there, but has transmuted into Cinnamon spice, instead of Pepper spice, Very Nice.

As I alluded to earlier, this cigar continues to create a Savory Flavor in my mouth.
My mouth waters at the flavor past, present and that yet to come.

That is a Wonderful thing, so often missing from the everyday smoke.

At 2 inches, I cannot put it down. I usually retire cigars at or around this point, but not this one.

Conclusion :
I am Officially Impressed! This is a Wonderful Cigar! Easily in my Top 5 this Year. What a pleasant surprise.

OK just to be clear The local Fire Brigade was NOT called and aside from the lingering smell of scorched Chest rug all is well.
This Cigar easily over came a very bad First Impression.

I burned it down to an inch and retired it Satisfied. This is the kind of Cigar that really is an Experience in Itself. An A+ cigar that makes putting up with all of those C- cigars, worth it.

Lastly a Big Thank You to Leonard for sharing it with me!

Cheers!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody

Last edited by bsslack; 09-06-2009 at 06:57 PM.
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote