Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Two very, very good Highland single malts...

Not inexpensive, mind you (the Glenlivet registering in the mid $80CDN range and the Longmorn breaking the $90CDN barrier), but certainly worthy of consideration.

Glenlivet Nądurra Natural Cask Strength 16 Year Old, Bottled August 2008 – 57.6%

Matured in first-fill American oak casks. Bright, polished brass gold in appearance. Sharply etched scents at the outset. Mulched grass and dandelion greens. Lightly smoked pears. A touch of vanilla. The fragrance becomes sweeter, plumper, and that much more alluring with aeration. Golden raisins. Galaktoboureko. Walnut flesh. On the palate, edible flowers leading to Japanese green tea infused with ginger root and a hint of citrus. Quite oak driven as it pours. A splash of water releases the full honey and herb flavour spectrum of the distillate along with those trademark subtle notes of Highland smoke. Deceptive textural delicacy and light viscosity married to tremendous palate penetration and clarity. Very taut, clean and long. A true toss-up as to whether or not to add any water to this one. Why not try it both ways? The Nądurra is nothing less than Glenlivet unleashed. A deliciously dry and uniquely invigorating whisky.

Longmorn 16 Year Old – 48%

The non-chill filtered successor to the revered, now retired, 15-year old 45% alcohol by volume edition, the latter first introduced during the Seagram era of ownership. Amber gold. A most beguiling fragrance of apricots, orange zest, honey roasted almonds, oatmeal simmering in copper cookware, links grass and cardamom. On the palate, a veritable kaleidoscope of taste sensations. Salted nuts and fruits. Sultanas. Oak staves lapped by the flames. Pie crust. Then Cointreau with a twist of lemon followed by notions of field grass, fresh rosemary and lemon pepper. Is it sweet? Is it dry? At any given moment, either or both. A classic Highland essay in the art of balance. This is not a whisky you come to terms with the first time around. And why on earth would you wish to?