Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2016, 05:49 PM   #1
mike s
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Beef plate ribs for my 40th Birthday cook....

Beef plate ribs for my 40th Birthday cook....

6 ribs total
7lbs pre cook weight
35$

You go to any Texas BBQ joint that actually sell these and don't run out your paying 30$ per rib! And from what I understand this is the margin on these isn't great for the bbq houses, thus you have them only doing a few and or one day a week at the most.

So I have cooked these one time before and they turned out great. All of that wonderful brisket taste in a little less time than a traditional brisket cook. I had the butcher cut individual ribs last time and they cooked a bit faster because of the surface area. They were still great but this time I had him cut them into 2 bone sections which I will cut after they are cooked. A simple kosher salt, cracked black pepper, coffee grounds, and dried habanero powder rub will do just fine.

I tend to cook them a bit hot bone side down at 275-280 (my brisket cooks are at 250). When they hit 165 I wrap them and flip them bone side up till they hit 200. Much like you would a packer brisket but with out all of the trimming....time....and rib flip . Brisket usually take about 10 or so hours with these beef plate ribs running 8 hours. But you can never go by time alone always a temperature probe in the meat and one above the grill so you know exactly your pit temp at the foods level, not up high where they usually stick el cheepo analog thermometer in your smoker hood.

I've said it before and will say it again if you are in the market for a 4 probe wireless thermometer that will connect with your tablet or phone and chart out your cook look no further than the igrill. I love mine!

https://www.amazon.com/iDevices-IGR0...idevice+igrill

Waking up at 530 am to start the firebox. Cooking with mesquite HEB charcoal to start then adding post oak logs. Shooting for a 430-500 finish with an hour rest in a cooler. I might even sneak on a rack of baby backs but y'all have seen my posts about those before . Will update with more pix tomorrow as the cook goes along. Have fun at work...

mike s is offline   Reply With Quote