Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
The JD
Herf Meister

Scotch Tasting Help

Hello everyone! I could use some help for this year's cigar and Scotch tasting I'm hosting for our cigar club. I need help coming up with a selection of Scotch for the tasting. This will be our 6 year doing this event so we've had a lot of Scotches already and I'm hoping for helping coming up with new stuff for us to try.

One of the members posted our past tasting selections here:

http://www.goatshed.ca/scotch-tastings

But for ease of reading, here's all the Scotch we've done in the past:

2008:
Auchentoshan 3 WoodArdbed 10 yr
Aberlour 16 yr
JW Green

2009:
Glenkinchie '92 Distiller's Edition
Springbank 10 yr
Cragganmore 13 yr Distiller's Edition
Dalwhinnie Distiller's Edition
Lagavulin Distiller's Edition

2010:
Glenfiddich 12 yr
Glenfiddich 18 yr
Glenlivet 12 yr
Glenlivet 18yr
JW Blue

2011:
Auchentoshan 12 yr
Auchentoshan 18 yr
Balvenie 12 yr Doublewood
Balvenie 14 yr Caribbean Cask
Balvenie 15 yr Single Barrel
Balvenie 17 yr Peated Cask

2012:
Auchentoshan 3 Wood
Glenkinchie '92 Distiller's Edition
Glenfiddich 12 yr
Balvenie 15 yr Single Barrel
Macallan 18 yr
Laphroaig 18 yr

(*Note: He hasn't put up any of our notes and I noticed he's missing some of our cigars, but he Scotch listings are all up to date)

After our first tasting (which I just grabbed random bottles) we tried to have a loose theme with the tasting. 2009 was a Scotch from each of the regions of Scotland to show how where the Scotch was made has a general affect on its flavor. 2010 was a "Comparison" tasting where the difference in 6 years of aging was tasted. I believe we also tasted a DR Romeo y Julieta compared to a ISOM RyJ. 2011 was tasting a single malt aged for different lengths and methods. (We had to throw in 2 extra bottles last minute because of extra people). And finally last year was our 5 year anny so we did the previous 4 years winners and added on 2 nice bottles.

For this year? I'm not really sure. I'm thinking of maybe another trip around Scotland and tasting some Scotch from each region, specifically getting something we haven't tried yet. I might match that cigars that have distinctive regional flavors. (Honduras, Nicaragua, something like that?)

I was also thinking of trying out Scotches that aren't Scotch (not sure what these are officially called). Scotch style whiskeys made from other parts of the world. I've had Japanese "Scotch" before (the name escapes me at the moment) and wouldn't mind trying something like that. I'm just not sure how many of these are out there and how available they are.

Any ideas? Feel free to suggest cigar pairings as well.

Some constraints, obviously. I usually budget for 10 people with 2 cigars a person and 4-5 bottles. Assume around $200 for two sets of 10 cigars (20 cigars total) and $300 for 4-5 bottles of Scotch. I'm in WI so liquor tax is near non-existent. Another constraint is I have about 4-5 weeks to acquire the goods so it has to be easy enough for me to find and pick up or get delivered to me.

Thanks for the help guys! Let me know if you have any questions.
The JD is offline   Reply With Quote