Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

Torano Noventa Torpedo '06

Cigar: Torano Noventa Torpedo, Hand Made Nicaraguan Puro released 2006.

Size: Torpedo 6.5 x 54

Appearance: Coloration is a medium Colorado hue with a slight reddish tinge. It has a veiny slightly rough appearance. There is a light sheen on the Wrapper from the head to about the last inch and a half. That area has a rough, flat appearance on the Wrapper. That is odd, but not unprecedented. The Noventa band is a clean and attractive affair with only 5 colors involved. Simple and elegant, Torano understands that sometimes, less can be more.

Construction:This large Torpedo is kind of lopsided in the roll. The foot is not round or squared. Wonky is the shape that comes to mind. However, aside from that, the rest of the cigar feels right. No detectable soft spots or flaws.

Pairing: Just myself the Noventa and good old Sailor Jerry, along for the ride.

Pre-Light: This Cigar has a enjoyable Tobacco aroma. A clean herbal tone that bodes well for the next hour and a half. The clip is made and the draw is firm, but not tight. Again a clear crisp tobacco note comes through.

Flambe`: To my memory, I do not recall ever having one of these. Nor, do I remember hearing much about them at the time of Their Original release in '06.
So, we find our self here, with little knowledge and few preconceived ideas and a nearly blank screen. Shall We begin and have this Vitola pen it's own story?
Let's!

I toast the foot and it's a big foot. In fact it took longer than usual to get this "Fat Bottomed Girl" going!

Having achieved ignition, I settle in for the duration. This puppy was a bit squiffy on the start, but it settles down nicely. Ahh, a touch of the old Barnyard, not so much on the flavor, as on the smoke aroma. The initial flavor is leathery, but the finish is Quite nice. A mouth watering tingle of salty mineral, a touch of copper, earthy herb and Red Pepper. I would believe it if someone said that they thought it was a Cameroon wrapped cigar. You get a higher than normal Tannin taste. A most unique combination. This is a Nicaraguan Puro, all of the elements are from Nicaraguan farms from all over the Country. This cigar "feels" very old school with the large ring gauge and the volumes of smoke and the rustic Hue on the Wrapper. It all combines to give a throwback impression. What is not nostalgic is the mouth watering flavor. I had thought that this would be a Full Power smoke, I was mistaken. It has plenty of Flavor, but so far a very approachable Power level. It is by no means a refined experience, there is a bite to the initial inhale. While not off putting, it does not complement the overall experience. The saltiness is still present, but not as prevalent as in the first inch. Sailor Jerry's is a good pairing. Both are a touch rough around the edges, but, good skates none the less.
Ash is White Grey and firm, no dropping unannounced in Your lap, with this one. Two inches in and the draw tightens up, so I give it a Clip and it opens up a bit. Not a lot mind you, but back to reasonable levels. The flavor, once settled in, has been consistent. The large hand filling dimensions of this smoke, continue to remind of yesteryear, when bigger was Always better. I have drifted back and forth on the ring gauge debate. I go on corona, Panatela or Lancero kicks from time to time. But, for some reason unknown to me, I just like the heft and feel of a Big Ol Stinky Ceegar with great flavor! This cigar falls into that category. It strikes me as one of those polarizing cigars, You either Love it or Hate it. Lucky for me, I fall into the former group and not the latter one.
As I progress through this smoke I am struck by the consistent long finish, that it provides. No surprises to be had, just a steady stable flavor profile.
A periodic clip and on you go. What a great easy going afternoon smoke.

Final Thoughts: As I part company with this unique cigar, it leaves me with a feeling of satisfaction and ease. A pleasurable time, nearly two hours of steady calm. This is a leisurely stroll kind of smoke, no hurry no worry, just sit back and relaaaaaaax.

A quality Puro experience of Nicaraguan origin. A big Thumbs up for Me!

Cheers!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote