Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Excalibur royal sterling Toro

I know I'm a little late on this, they are already well known, and already discontinued even. That said, however, I just had my first one, and that was a seriously fine smoke. I would jump on them given a chance at a good closeout.

The thing was obviously well made, it was a pretty and smooth, well rolled smoke. It looked pretty typical for villazon production; not earth shatteringly beautiful, like torano, for instance, but well rolled and attractive. Well built with no serious issues, but I could see that there was a tight layer in the bunch to one side. Obviously from the start, there were going to be some burn issues.

The draw was light and perfect, and the clip was easy and neat. I got a good light, and for the first half inch or so, it burned well, until that tight spot kept cutting off air to that side. it took some touch ups to keep that side going, and the wrapper burned off. No serious issues, though.

What I got most from this was a smooth and easy smoke, with a slightly peppery character. it was more like a little bourbon in coffee, just a slight zing on the palate, but no harsh burning, or strong flavors associated with it; no watering eyes or burning in the airways. It was kiind of hard to describe. It gave off a good smoke, and that was a beautiful, solid white ash. The taste and aroma were almost floral or perfumed in character, with a musky undertone. the wrapper added a sweet layer to that, and it showed up strongly every time I burned off the overhang. I got through the first 3 inches, and was nearing the band, when I had to give it up. The flavors were seriously developing, as was the strength. I think I would have nubbed it. Unless it built up a whole lot more, I would have to drop that into a mild category, and not enough to really hold a lot of smokers' attention.

Altogether, it was a smooth and clean tasting smoke, with a good clean aroma. The typical villazon profile that one would expect from any of the other stronger lines wasn't as pronounced as I expected. I would prefer robustos or a corona gorda next time, as the toro just didn't allow it to build to its full potential in time. I can't imagine that a larger size would be good for that blend at all. I wished that I had a huge cup of coffee with it.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote