Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2004, 06:35 PM   #1
JoeyBogus
Club Member

ERdM Robusto

I had one of these for the very first time back in August of 2002 at a little herf we had in KC where I first had the pleasure of meeting Conrad (Smokestack Jack) and Greg (poohdvm) in person. Shortly thereafter, I bought a box and have been smoking through them at a rate of one every other month since then. I'm down to my last couple and am presently enjoying one right now. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of trying one of these, you're in for a treat when you do, especially if they have had the benefit of some aging time.

Presentation: Packed in a boite d' nature wooden sliding-lid box; each stick is wrapped in a swaddling of white tissue, twisted at the ends, and sporting the classic gold-foil El Rey del Mundo band. Size is 5" long with a hefty 54 ring gauge.

Appearance: A very dark maduro / oscuro wrapper with a considerable amount of toothiness and medium-sized veins. Firm to the squeeze and very sweet-scented.

Draw and Smoke: Average to slightly easy draw with an average amount of smoke volume that produces a very nice and rich non-offensive burning aroma.

Burn and Ash: The burn is meandering a little bit but not quite enough to merit a correction; also no coning, canoeing, or other troubles. Ashes are flaky and of medium density and light grey in color.

Taste: This cigar is packed with a delightful melange of well-balanced tastes. Right off the bat I noticed coffee, chocolate, and creaminess. After a few puffs some subtle spicy notes appeared as well as some notes of vanilla to the finish. At about the half-way point I noticed some cedary tastes enter the picture. Overall, a medium to full-bodied taste profile and medium in strength.

Overall: A well-made and well-performing cigar with considerable complexity to the taste profile. Best enjoyed with an accompanying cup of coffee or a cold Guinness. An affordable "must-try" smoke for the newbies and a classic go-to cigar for the veterans.