Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2002, 11:41 AM   #1
JayMonster

Appearance - 19/20 - This cigar looks there invitingly just begging to be smoked. The slight oil sheen is so enticing it is almost daring you to have the will power to leave it there. For appearance this cigar is on par with a Padron Anniv Maduro. The only knock would be the over the top gaudy (and large) band (a personal annoyance).

Construction - 19/20 - If anything can be said about Astral Cigars (any of them), it is that their construction is impeccable. This cigar was firm but not a "rock", Cap was expertly applied, the draw was splendid, and you even had to look hard to see the seams of the the rolled wrapper. The single ding is that I expected a bit more smoke. Oh there was a good amount, the volumes of smoke were substantial, I just expected a slight bit more.

Flavor - 42/50 - A medium to slighly mild side of medium in strength this cigars flavor is a lot more delicate than you would expect based on appearance. A nice cigar to enjoy with a cup of coffee or a good rum, it would be overpowered and the nuances lost with a cognac or more powerful and lingering beverage. A slight nuttiness on the finish is a pleasant compliment to the coffee and mild earthniess flavors that come forth.

Overall 8/10 - Expectations were a bit low going in, so this made it easy to impress and the TVS did. If I had smoked this after a big meal I may have been more tempered in my view, but having it pre-dinner with a Mai Tai at sunset was a fantastic way to end the day.

Total - 88 - I have read about "rough edges" on this cigar. Perhaps the box was sitting around my local shop for a while, I did not find that to be true. If you want a powerhouse cigar and think that a Bolivar Fuerte is a breakfast cigar, you will not agree with me. If you like subtlty and flavor, you probably will.

- Sacha Guitry
JayMonster is offline   Reply With Quote