Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:19 AM   #1
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Oliva has been sold

Interesting . . .

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:20 AM   #2
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

It is, especially considering to whom they've been sold.

Halfwheel was reporting, erroneously, two weeks ago or more, that it was to General.

J. Cortès is the firm, and they're a smallish, family-owned, firm which makes medium filler cigars.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #3
Smokestack Jack
Herf God

"The main goal in the U.S. is to keep Oliva to the level where they are, and really make their brands even stronger than they are. You have to make sure nothing changes."
"Oliva Cigars is a fantastic, well-run business with strong brands and plenty of future opportunities. This acquisition allows us to further strengthen both businesses' strategy and to stay focused on brands, people and dedication to great products for cigar lovers," said Vandermarliere.

I hope this is true. I would quit smoking if Oliva cigars changed their "recipes".
Old 07-01-2016, 08:43 PM   #4
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post
It is, especially considering to whom they've been sold.

Halfwheel was reporting, erroneously, two weeks ago or more, that it was to General.

J. Cortès is the firm, and they're a smallish, family-owned, firm which makes medium filler cigars.
That doesn't bode well. Olivia was a champion and it appears that they sold to a mid level maker of bundles. I'm sure that the current staff of Olivia will retain control for many years, because it is obvious that this group will have little or no expertise in premium cigar manufacturing, unless they have many secrets.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #5
CSMAnderson
Herf God

Torano, now Oliva who's next? Maybe Perdomo?
CSMAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #6
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Difference is that Toraño was sold to General. This company is NOT General.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Old 07-05-2016, 02:43 AM   #7
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

General has done great things with let a Gloria and cal. The products have remained good, the brands have grown, the whole company seems to be thriving.

Altars, however, seems to have taken a tip from gurkha. I don't even want to try counting all of the sub-brands that montecristo has now. Every few years, both Romeo and upland come out with something different and very costly, but that's pretty normal. It bothers me that every few months a new montecristo comes out that costs twenty a stick.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:30 AM   #8
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Took me a minute there, Bri.

Altadis.....H. Upmann....

DAMNED auto-correct.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:10 PM   #9
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

a lot of these owners who are selling may be cashing out while they can

I thought I heard Torano was going back to work for the brand but I may have that way wrong

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:53 AM   #10
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
a lot of these owners who are selling may be cashing out while they can
I think there is some definite truth to that. And it's not just in relation to the new FDA regulations. There comes a point, especially when one is older, that it makes sense to sell. Who can blame them?

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote