Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #1
Lew
Starting Member

Halfwheel News Flash

Southern Classic Cigars—the parent of the Coabey, Cuey, Cucubano and Dujo—has one new release planned for this year’s IPCPR Convention: blah, blah, blah...limited to 200 boxes of 10 cigars with a suggested retail price of $14.95 per cigar.
Gimme a break will ya? 200 bpxes of 10 … A total of 2,000 cigars!…. I know guys that have that many cigars in their house. …. And 15 bucks a cigar? I’m from Missouri (okay Brooklyn), but the smoking public is being disrespected with stuff like this. Nuff said.
It’s not Halfwheel that’s doing the con job, I’m glad they’re around because it gives me something to read every day. The New York Times logo is “all the news that’s fit to print”. Halfwheel by necessity has to print “all the news there is”… whether it’s fit to print or not, because that’s ALL the news there is….
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:37 PM   #2
CSMAnderson
Herf God

I do believe this cigar is really too expense.
CSMAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
beevod
Herf God

Does it come with a coupon for free pizza?
Old 06-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #4
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Probably not, but I'll bet that it has a really pretty band.

That begs the question, how much would it cost to create 2,000 bespoke bands that will never be used again?

Lew is right. If this bs is for real, this guy has far too much time on his hands and no clue about how he should allocate it.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:04 PM   #5
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Editing and posting the press releases here, there is an increasing amount of BS you have to wade through to find what is truly relevant and post-worthy.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
Lew
Starting Member

Halfwheel - here's another one

The newest addition to Ocean State Cigars’s J. Grotto Anniversary line will be a box-pressed double robusto, according to an announcement from the company. Measuring 5 1/2 x 54, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah….

Joyal is once again working with Phil Zanghi of Debonaire Cigars on the blend, with production being handled by Tabacos Flor de De Los Reyes S.A. factory in the Dominican Republic, where Zanghi also produces his lines of cigars.
The new size is priced at $8.50 per cigar before taxes and comes packed in 10-count Spanish cedar boxes, with 500 boxes are being produced, for a total run of 5,000 cigars. One of the highlights of the box is artwork that features initials of several family members in gold coins.

Joyal expects that the new size should be ready to ship, blah, blah, blah.. Like all J. Grotto cigars, the Anniversary line is only available to brick-and-mortar retailers and is not available for internet or mail-order retailers.

Let me just say that I don’t know anybody at halfwheel and I’m not faulting them for making a new article about something that is really not news. It’s a tough job to find something to write about every single day in an industry that has very little “real” news on a daily basis.

Nor do I know who Ocean State Cigars, J.Grotto, Paul Joyal, Phil Zanghi etc.,etc. are. They could be the nicest people on the planet, the best cigar maker…. I just don’t know them.

But if you read the article, what got me is where it says these various people are working on the blend and that they are making 500 boxes of 10…. That’s 5,000 cigars…. Maybe enough to keep a good sized factory in business for about an hour !
And what manufacturer in their right might would “work” on a blend that was going to be produced for just an hour…. Let’s give the cigar smoking public some credit for having some brains for G-d’s sakes. People that spend 8 and 10 dollars a cigar cannot be morons!

THEN, they say the cigars will only be available to brick and mortar retailers, not internet or mail order companies….. well, no shit Sherlock…. How ya gonna divide 5,000 total cigars among retailers in 50 States, and intenet, and mail order houses. Any of the bigger mail order houses, JR, Famous, Holts, etc. could order all 5,000 cigars by themselves.

Years ago a company called Aristoff actually ran ads saying almost the exact same thing…. They wouldn’t sell to discount mail order houses…. Specifically, JR would NEVER get their cigars. Well, that musta worked like a charm… till they sold me the trademark, the cigars, and the company for about 15 cents on the dollar.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:59 AM   #7
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

There is a particular cigar, which shall remain nameless, that was just released and is a B&M cigar only. The only reason I was able to get a box is that Big John picked one up for me. The cigar is fantastic, but it's very difficult for me to get. With the extraordinarily high taxes in NY, my only option is buying these out of state, which requires someone else to buy them for me.

I suppose they think they can sell them at a higher price by avoiding online sales.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:28 AM   #8
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

The word limited edition stirs the loins of some folks. There is a 'dark side' to cigars out there in social media where guys bling bling is how many 'LE' and how many Opus X they have. Perhaps they'll mature, but some won't. Fortunately I don't get into a sword measuring contest with guys like that.

While I was sitting in a shop, some weeks back, with Jason and the esteemed Jose Blanco, Jose commented that "Cigarweekly has a reputation for publishing real stuff, not every cigar shaped rumor they come upon like half wheel".

That's paraphrased, of course, but I'm proud to be associated with this place. HE went on to say 'nothing wrong with half wheel - they're a business and they have to produce content' - I just thought it was nice that he praised our restraint and quality.
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:31 AM   #9
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

You're right, it was gratifying to hear Senor Blanco say that.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:06 AM   #10
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote