Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2002, 02:15 PM   #1
Vince

This is my first attempt at a review here, so don't trash me too badly.

I live in Japan. The selection is poor and cigars are ridiculously expensive here. I've only found one good cigar on the Japanese market that is priced reasonably enough to be a worthy daily smoke, La Eminencia Fancy Cubanitas.

La Eminencia is a line of cigars manufactured by Vincent & Tampa Cigar Co. in Ybor City, Florida. La Eminencia was originally a domestic Cuban and is now hand made in Spanish Honduras and Tampa. These 5 1/2 x 44 long filler coronas come in natural and maduro and are sold in bundles of twenty-five for $15; but as the Vincent & Tampa Web site says, "Don't be fooled by our low prices. This is a quality hand made premium cigar." Perhaps "premium" is stretching it, but the Fancy Cubanitas is certainly a quality and tasty smoke.

The first thing you'll notice about the natural's construction is the pigtail cap. The wrapper is oily and has some veins, and the ones I get usually have water spots; it's not a beauty queen, but it is well constructed and has a certain rustic charm. The prelight aroma is sweet and rich and makes my mouth water every time. The cigar takes a clean cut and lights well, burns evenly, and has an easy draw and a firm light gray ash. It starts off gently with a mild core of sweet spice that intensifies to a mild-medium body within the first five or so puffs. From there, it's a consistently yummy treat that lasts right down to the nub. The finish is lightly sweet, spicy, and a bit toasty.

The maduro also has a pigtail cap, is well constructed, and rustic. The prelight aroma is sweet, and the cigar burns as nicely as the natural. From the first puff to the nub it has a consistent mild-medium rich cocoa character that I find very relaxing, and the dark chocolate finish is the most lasting and satisfying I've experienced. In fact, this is the one that changed me from an uncertain dabbler into a confirmed cigar smoker.

I've mentioned the Fancy Cubanitas in other forums, and a couple of smokers with more experience than I said that these sticks benefit very nicely from a year of aging. My batch is about four months old, and they keep getting better. I can't wait for that year to come up.

If I had to describe the Fancy Cubanitas in a phrase, I'd call it a damn good, honest smoke. It's not a top shelf ISOM, but it's plenty savory, fairly complex, and a bargain too. Even when I get back to the States and have a much better selection of cigars at lower prices, I'll still keep a bundle of these in the humidor.

Last edited by Vince; 01-10-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote