Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
Reebosan

To get or not to get an Aristocrat

About a year and a half ago my wife gave me the ok to buy an Aristocrat humidor. Then my checking account was wiped out due to Debit Fraud and I was left dry until the bank sorted out the matter. Then a couple of months later I get laid off. Well with that said I decided not to get an Aristocrat humidor but now I’m back on my feet, more or less and I’m back to deciding what model to get or not to get an Aristocrat at all. I know the quality is there and the price tag is there as well. The wife has given permission and I had been looking at a model M-25D 38"W x 25"D x 36" H that would run me about $1,800 with shipping. Then my wife tells me that it seems too small and I should get a bigger one (I was like wow – no friggen way she just said that) and then I started looking at the Mxt 19 - 60" H x 40" wide x 19" D and the Mxt Armoire 26.5 60"H x40"W x 26 1/2"D but the costs go up to about $2,300. So this started making me think even more about things.

For those that have bought similar models if you did not get the deep do you regret it?

For those that did get the deep was it all that you wanted?

Any regrets after purchasing with the dimensions or regrets at all?

I am torn price wise as I tend to be on the frugal side of things and then I think what if I ever give up the habit.
Reebosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
ElkTwin
Ungulate in Chief
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebosan View Post
I am torn price wise as I tend to be on the frugal side of things and then I think what if I ever give up the habit.
If you're considering for an instant that you might quit, get a wine cellar and install a humidifier. The resale on a wine cellar is easier.
ElkTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
otto_sear

If my wife ever gave me permission to get an aristocrat, I would get the biggest one I could, because cigars tend to build up. But I am never going to give up cigars unless ordered to by a physician.

I think Elktwin's advise is sound. If quitting is a distinct possibility, I would look elsewhere. For the money, I think those big coolers are a pretty sound alternative.
otto_sear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
Reebosan

I seemed to have accumulated some cigars over the years and I currently have a Tower of Power type humidor and 5 coolers of various sizes. I have thought about electric coolers and think they are kind of cool but I would really need a big one or a couple of them and thus not being too effective.

One thing I do know for sure is that my wife is tired of looking at the coolers!
Reebosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Ross
Club Member

I bought a custom Delta T when Bob was still willing to make them and bought a very large one. It was in the $2500 range. Lots of dough, but I've never doubted the wisdom of that purchase. I've updated the controller twice to keep up with Bob's advances, but the Peltier cooling unit is the same and still runs flawlessly. I'd recommend discussing your needs with Bob. Get it exactly as you want. He can mimic furniture you now own, if you wish. Hope this helps.
My current rotation: Most Perdomo, Oliva O, G and V, most CAO, Nub 464 maduro, Nub 464 Habano, a box or two of 5-Vegas, a couple boxes of ERdM Robusto Largo, Some AF Hemingway SS and some others I can't remember. It's a well-stocked Delta-T.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

You'll never regret a purchase from Bob. He's the best.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
Smok'em1313

If you have any reservations, don't waste your money IMO. You can set up a cooledor for about 1/100th of the price that will work equally as well. That said, I purchased my Aristocrat several years ago and love it. In addition to being a humidor, it's also an end table in my house and a conversation piece. I did outgrow it, so now I also have a large cooledor.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
rramstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebosan View Post
For those that have bought similar models if you did not get the deep do you regret it?

For those that did get the deep was it all that you wanted?

Any regrets after purchasing with the dimensions or regrets at all?

I purchased an Aristocrat M Plus, and it was a fantastic decision, have had it for many years now. It works great for me. I do have additional storage that's less fancy, but for a main cabinet that I can get into easily and frequently, it works great. Bob does top notch work and they represent great value.

Frankly, I selected the unit I bought based on where it was going to sit, and how it would look. I did not want the absolutely biggest unit, didn't care about that at all, I figured regardless of what I had that I wouldn't fit everything in it.

It is true that they don't have very good resale value UNLESS you can find someone locally who wants it. If you are part of a cigar club or a regular at a local retailer, you may feel more comfortable buying it.

My Aristocrat is a gorgeous piece of furniture, and yeah, it's for storing cigars, but I plan to use it for 40 or 50 years, maybe 80 years... I just love looking at it.

Mine is fourth from the bottom on this page

http://www.aristocrathumidors.com/ar...bconfig-3.html

Black Walnut Flat Panel Burl Doors Multi Drawer Interior
rramstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #9
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I agree. I only have a Mini, but I love looking at it. It sits right in my living room and is the perfect end table. I smoke about 1 cigar a week, so the Mini provides me with ample storage. It looks great and my cigars are always in perfect condition. I love it.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:44 AM   #10
Breech
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
I agree. I only have a Mini, but I love looking at it. It sits right in my living room and is the perfect end table. I smoke about 1 cigar a week, so the Mini provides me with ample storage. It looks great and my cigars are always in perfect condition. I love it.
Same here. I bought a mini, not too interested in collecting cigars, just smoking, and 20 boxes or so is about right for me.... Mine sits in my dining room (mathes the furniture well) and actualyy has serving crap on top of it.... Bob is fantastic and I have never regretted it, even the size. I am nothing but FANTASTICALLY HAPPY with my purchase... And you will be too....

John

Talkin' 'bout some back rent, she lucky if she get any front rent.- John Lee Hooker

Strike While The Iron Is Hot!!
Breech is offline   Reply With Quote