Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Davidoff Nicaragua Robusto Tubo

I want to start by thanking ronin for giving me the opportunity to try these.

The Davidoff Nicaragua comes wrapped in a 10-year aged Nicaraguan rosado wrapper, which (on this specimen) was gorgeous: light sheen, toothy, finely veined. Construction was (unsurprisingly) flawless: even, firm bunch, no knots or soft spots, triple cap perfectly applied. I noted a curl of almost black ligero in the filler.

Pre-light: Perfect draw, complex hints of cedar, leather, cocoa, and (?) toast.

Initial impressions: The cigar took a few draws to get fully lit, at which point the lighter became superfluous. It produced dense clouds of rich smoke with gentle draws...qualities I really treasure in a cigar. Solid medium body, very flavorful, very smooth, no harshness whatsoever.

First third: Wow! Lacking Jazznut's palate, I usually have a hard time picking out individual flavors from a really complex cigar. Such was the case with this one. Just as Cuban cigars often have very distinctive flavor nuances that are very difficult to pin down, so do Nicaraguans made from top-quality leaf. That's what I got from this one. The term "rich" is so subjective as to be almost meaningless, but that's how I've come to think of the impressions I got from this cigar. Excellent. Firm, light gray ash - not at all flaky - dropped off at around an inch.

Second third: The flavors remained consistent, but deepened slightly. Flawless burn, laser-straight with no touch-ups. I could set the cigar down for 2-3 minutes and come back to find it coasting happily.

Final third: Slight harshness developed if I rushed the smoke, which I sometimes tend to do when I'm really enjoying the cigar. Slow and gentle. Burned it to a 3/4" nub with not a single re-light, touch-up, or purge. That blew me away, as I almost always purge cigars that I burn to itty-bitty nubs.

Summary: The impressions I got from this were of top-quality Nicaraguan leaf, beautifully processed and blended, perfectly rolled. A worthy addition to the Davidoff line. Although spendy (~$13), an excellent cigar start to finish.

Highly recommended.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote