Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

OPUS-X Forbidden X Chili Pepper

CIGAR: Fuente Fuente OPUS-X, Forbidden X - Chili Pepper!

SIZE: My handy dandy "Crank-O-Meter" has this Hot Tamale` coming in at 5 3/8ths X 54. Since it is a "Signature" size I'll include a photo in the appearance listing.

PAIRING: Tonight, I want Clean. An when You want Smooth and Clean.....It's Tito's Texas Vodka to the rescue! Good Stuff!

APPEARENCE: First a Photo:

http://www.prometheuskkp.com/images/...pus22-07-3.jpg

Now, the Chili Pepper is distinguished by the right angling Taper and a fat perfecto foot. This edition is not a pretty cigar. It's ruddy flat Wrapper finish is not inspiring to look at. The 'Forbidding' Band is dark and muddled also, the only strong image that the Band transmits is the Big RED X!

CONSTRUCTION: These cannot be easy to roll. But the size is all Fuente. No one really has embraced the Specialty Roll like They have at Casa Fuente. Baseball Bats for Sammi Sosa, Footballs, BBMF's and the like. The Chili Pepper is subtle when compared to the above mentioned Ltd sizes. Now Fuente is rolling them in the Forbidden X line as well. Actually They have been rolling Them for some time.
So, construction on this Spicy Little Number is OK. The fill seems loose at the foot and there is a odd kinda box press going on, but it is not uniform. The cigar also feels Kinda Light in the hand. The Wrapper is well applied. The Twist at the top is well done and properly addressed to the Right.
The reported age on this unit, is "a couple of years" so We'll see how that works out.

PRE-LIGHT: Here's where I get to say nice things.
The Aroma coming off of this Perfecto, IS Perfecto! Classic OPUS-X Cinnamon times 2! Wonderful wafts of baking Spices nearly overloading my olfactory senses. It is Simply Wonderful just to draw a breath along it's length. Sorry, maybe I got juuuust a little there.

Arrrg! So Now I Chop It Off.

Okay So fine, I trim just a little off the Head, Oy.

Aaaaaanyway, After the clip there's not much draw, but on perfecto's that can happen. No flavor on the draw, but that Wrapper.....Man!

CHILI COOK-OFF: BAM! Right off Da Bat! I got a mouthful of Uber Spicy wrapper. Hot Tamale indeed! Wow, that's a big spicy Kick right out of the Gate! After burning off the nipple, the draw still needs work so I trim another quarter inch and am rewarded with a much improved air flow. This really is an odd size. Even by WOA standards, the 54 ring at the foot dwindles quickly to 45 RG at the halfway point, then to 34 RG at the head. I am expanding to the Foot's full diameter now and my mouth is awash in flavors. That White Pepper Punch is right there, but now others appear as well. At Full RG and it's wobbly burn. These simply have that. I'm not aware of Any Producer Whom has conquered that buggaboo on this type of shape. Again, this is not your run of the mill cigar, they are expensive and not readily available. These are rare even by regular OPUS-X standards. I have said that I'm not a big fan of the "Forbidden" marketing, but that aside, I've only had one bad episode with a cigar wearing the Forbidden label. The Pepper fills my mouth and throat, the finish reveals other elements. Cinnamon and fresh turned Earth notes appear. Right now they get hammered down by the pepper, but they are there. Now on the steep decline in Ring Gauge. I remove the Black Opus Band, Sadly the Band takes a dime sized chunk of Wrapper with it. At this Level that should NOT happen! Grrr

Ash is clingy and seems layered, but drops clear with a tap. Color is Shock White. Burn has corrected and smoke production is plentiful on draw, slight at rest. I rose to get something and when I re-entered the room, it had a Wonderful aroma to it. Almost a lite baking spice. Not cookies or Bread, but definitely sumpthin in the oven, cool. The pepper and the draw both dropped so I re-clipped, much better. What a Great Smell, I do not inhale, (sorry Bill) when I smoke cigars. But, the Aromatic quality of this cigar has me taking a light puff and liking it. My mouth is watering and tingling from the pepper, but there's the great heady Cinnamon going on too. I'm just under 4 inches, this is going too fast. I vaguely remember the first Chili Pepper, that was two and a half years ago. I deliberately did not reread it, because I did not want to skew this experience. It will be interesting to read that one again when I finish to see how it compares. The burn seems to have settled down, quite a bit. At the 3.5inch mark it transitions into a lighter pepper profile while the Aromatic levels ramp up amazingly. Flavor is still perking alot, but the Smell in the room is Amazing! I take a draw, hold release, finish then I take a whiff off the end. This is Crazy! It's not like a scented smoke or like that at all. But, like a cooking fire, with cedar and baking spices. On the next draw Bang! I got a mouthful of Cardamom, it's completely different from the cinnamon flavor. The Pepper is ever present, but in the background. My whole mouth is alive and tingling. At 3" I get a touch of oil, I clip and purge. Wow, what a difference, volumes of smoke and fresh spice and pepper in abundance. This thing has awoken my sinuses!
Part of my tongue is numb and my lips are tingling too. I turned the fan off and now have a blue cloud at about 5 feet in the room, it smells wonderful. I have not done that since I stopped smoking the pipe.
As I approach the wrapper tear the surrounding area starts to swell and crack. The RG is around 44 at 2.5 inches. So, I slow down. I've only had 1 drink so far, I don't want to get up and make another one. Normally I get dry mouth and thirsty, not with this Pepper Popper! Now, the Pepper is on the main stage again. What a great level of diversity this small size has. At the 2" mark and I'm taking it nice and slow as the Ring Gauge drops quite rapidly now. I put off dinner to have this, but right now I feel Full. I feel like I've had something to eat. I can safely say, I have never had a more Aromatic Opus-X, ever. Normally, I make a concerted effort to avoid breathing in the smoke drifting off of a cigar, not so with this one. What a unique Cigar. As I close in on the 1.5" mark it is still producing a quality flavor, with only one purge. The OPUS products usually have a higher level of oils in them, but this one seems juuust right.

FINAL THOUGHTS: Over the years of smoking and doing reviews, We sometimes get passe` about this or that aspect of cigars. We each have what we prefer and like in different cigars. But, every now and then you get something that surprises you or provides you with a new or different experiance. This is one of those cigars. It started with a Bang and kept on coming with Flavor and Variety and added elements, that enhanced the enjoyment of smoking. I Highly recommend the Opus-X Forbidden X Chili Pepper, it has the whole package for Anyone seeking a unique and enjoyable Special Cigar Experience.

Again, My Thanks to Sir Bobbystbob.

CHEERS!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote