Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 08-06-2003, 06:53 AM   #1
Mysterblues
Club Member

Robert Randolph & the Family Band

Anyone see them on Letterman last night? Man !! They got some positive energy!!! Great band. (I'm looking for bootlegs of these guys if anyone happens to have!!)
Mysterblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 09:53 AM   #2
mannish
Herf God

They do have the one live CD out. I have friends that have raved about hsi show and then the next show they said sucked.

I think he was first on 'Sacred Steel' a gospel-blues recording of steel players. I have listened to him but never had the desire to go see him. I think it's cool that he is getting popular and being on Letterman that's reallt great

He does a decent version of Slim Harpos 'Hipshake' but he really doesn't move me too much. I do have the Word Cd which is him and the North Ms Allstars not that moving to me.
mannish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 10:03 AM   #3
Mysterblues
Club Member

Oh ya Mannish!! I just saw the allstars here last Fri night. they were great!! I got to get some of their material
Old 08-06-2003, 10:16 AM   #4
mannish
Herf God

I saw them with the elder Dickinson (father of a couple members) in Clarksdale years ago they did a high energy blues thing that I liked th nest time I saw then they were more like a 'jam' band like Phish and them others.
I do not like jam bands so the second time was not near as good for me.

If you do not have THE WORD cd you can have mine if I still have it I tried
to give it away but it came back. The fellow had already bought a copy opr something. Sounds like you would like Robert Randolph and NMA

The NMA sure are talented guys that's for sure. They got in their blood since they was babies

Have you heard of Richard Johnston yet...? He is a wonderful blues player that hangs with the NMA on occasion he was been getting lots of attention
lately
Old 08-11-2003, 11:12 AM   #5
mannish
Herf God

FYI: Robert Randolph and others (Gillian Welch..etc) will be profiled on the Sundance channel tonight some show like New Roots Music
Old 08-12-2003, 05:39 AM   #6
Mysterblues
Club Member

Thanks for the info Mannish!! No , not hip to Johnston, but will definitely look into it ,as I trust your judgement. I'm not huge on the whole "jam band " thing either but I do like Trucks and Mule and Allman a lot. But not when it's pointless drug induced noise. I like more creative improv in the tradition of Miles and Trane
Old 12-19-2003, 10:51 AM   #7
HuskerHerfer

I saw them at a Christian music festival this last summer, Cornerstone Festival. Probably the single best set I've ever experienced. Intimate setting, tent with about 500 people, unguarded stage, many got right up and danced with them while they jammed. I danced my ASS off. Incredible experience. A MUST SEE band.
HuskerHerfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 04:37 PM   #8
fitzonelove
Club Member

I caught the Blind Boys of Alabama at the Beacon Theatre on Friday night, with Robert Randolph on slide guitar, along with Chrissy Hynde, Charlie Musslewhite, Duke Robillaird, Mavis Staples, and Aaron Neville. What a show....
fitzonelove is offline   Reply With Quote