Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2002, 11:52 PM   #1
Prof2B
Starting Member

Cigar: Trinidad Fundadores, cabinet selection
Vitola: Gran Panetela, 7.5x40
Tobacco: Cuban (puro)
Review Date: 1/09/02
Street price: $20-$25

Appearance: Very good. Light brown wrapper, colorado-claro, with a few water spots. Finely veined.

Construction: Excellent. Perfect curly head cap, no soft spots. Tightly wrapped and straight as an arrow.

Burn: Excellent. Burned perfectly throughout.

Problems: None.

Draw: Very good. Just a little tight at first, but after the first inch it opened up a bit. Comfortable draw thereafter.

Ash: Dark grey to grey, very firm.

Smoked to: Just before the band. It got a little hot for my tastes at that point. About 80 minutes.

Strength: Medium to Medium/Full. I had a large meal beforehand, and I nonetheless got that classic Havana headiness at about the 2/3rds point. Not at all overpowering--quite pleasant, in fact.

Aroma: Exquisite. Pre-light aroma was enticing and unique, almost toasty. Once lit, the aromas of roasted almonds, cashews, and subtle spices filled the room, and from time to time I swear I could smell hints of licorice.

Taste: Very good. A smooth tang throughout, with flavor shifts every couple inches. It started off with soft spices, mostly nutmeg to my palate. Every now and then I'd get a hint of red pepper, and as the cigar developed the finish lingered longer, leaving just a bit of tingling. Various elements would move in and out of the flavor profile as the cigar progressed, keeping me guessing as to what would happen next.

Overall: Top of the line smoke!

General comments: This is probably one of the more complex cigars I've ever smoked. I'm still not quite sure how a 40 ring gauge gran panetela could deliver the array of flavors I normally expect from a churchill or double corona, but somehow it did. And the aroma--wow, for that reason alone I'll be smoking more of these when I can afford them. Construction is top notch: the cigar smoked like a dream. The Trinidad Fundadores is one of the best Cubans I've ever smoked, and offhand I can't think of any non-Cuban that can even come close.

The mustard seed is the smallest of all seeds, but when it has grown it is the greatest of shrubs and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches.