Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

IPCPR Cigar Señorial by José Blanco Maduro

It is fair to say that José Blanco is a true friend to Cigar Weekly. He has hosted his well-regarded blending seminars at tobacconists all over the country, many of which have been attended by CWers. His interest goes beyond that, back some years ago when he was still with La Aurora, that must be 2009, he was busy as all get out at the IPCPR show. Yet when I walked into their area, he bade me sit, and worried with me about CW's future. We were working hard, but things had slowed here on the forums.

I have never forgot that gesture and that genuine concern.

The cigar I review tonight, just made its debut at this year's IPCPR 2015 in New Orleans. I'm guessing you figured that already by the title, but here goes, this cigar I have to smoke is a Lonsdale!! There's a point in its favor, not many companies, right now, SEEM to be featuring this size, and a grand elegant vitola it is. In the company's nomenclature this is called a: Lonsdale Refinado

It's long and thin, I would say it's "refined" but that wouldn't be original, now, would it? It measures 6 1/2 inches x 44. Las Cumbres hopes to sell these at a suggested retail price of $7.50.

It is comprised of a filler blend with Dominican Piloto Cubano and Dominican Criollo 98. These are bound with Dominican Piloto Cubano and finished with the now prized Mexican San Andres maduro wrapper leaf. Like most of the cigars I have been reviewing, this one is sweetish as I test the flavor before lighting. It's just got "that smell" that I like from cigars. It's time for the matches, a small breeze cascades around my feet, weird, yes, I know. So let me see how well this will work.

One match, and this cigar is well on its way. It lit cleanly and evenly all the way around, which is a bit easier with a thin ring gauge. There is the slightest touch of pepper as it begins, just on the tip of the tongue, and a cedar character on the back of the tongue here at the outset. As I let it sit a couple minutes and draw again, the draw is generous, but the flavor has settled a bit. As I am not the biggest fan of pepper spice, I am pleased with this. The cedar is still there, but the smoke is not overpowering.

Edit 1.
A beautiful ash has formed on the end of this cigar, and a fine burn keeps it intact. The cedar is still present, but some earthiness is beginning to present itself alongside the cedary note. (I STILL can't believe I'm using the word "note.") I am enjoying this cigar, along with a Virgil's Zero Cream Soda, and they pair well.

Edit 2.
Getting more sweet and earthy now, between the foot and the band, It's dropped ash once. The cream soda helps ameliorate any charry harshness it may develop.
Uh oh, starting to tunnel a little.

Edit 3.
As the burn nears the band, I had to touch up the tunneling a little, and I see that it may be unraveling at this juncture. I'm thinking it's the oppressive humidity out here, tonight. Well, that's New Orleans in August for you. Flavor is remaining consistent, it's not burning hot, and the pepper spice is gone, which makes it still pleasant for me.

Now to the band, and the unraveling has burned away, and the cigar has corrected itself. Starting to feel this one in my head. It's a deceptive bit of strength from an almost Dominican puro. This cigar keeps evolving!

Edit 4.
The band has been removes, and the cigar slowly wends its way to the final few draws, other than the minor issue, this has been a pleasurable cigar. For now I will rate it VERY solid at:
½
Perhaps if I had put it away, and not left it on the dining room table (my writing desk) for a couple weeks, these issues may not have occurred. I would like to try one in a tobacconist shop, now.

Thank you "Jochi" Good, good, cigar.

Las Cumbres Tabaco

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Last edited by TommyBB; 08-06-2015 at 07:20 PM.
TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote