Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
CigarDaddy

CAO Gold Maduro Churchill

Cigar: CAO Gold Maduro Churchill (7x48)

Local Conditions
Temp: 46⁰F
Relative Humidity: 65%
Wind: Slight, with some mild gusts

Cigar Specifics
Wrapper: Brazilian Maduro
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Strength: Medium (by Mfg.)
Time in Humi: 2-3 Months

I have to say that there is just something very comforting about having a Churchill sized cigar in my hand, it just feels natural. That’s one of the reasons I chose this cigar today, that and I really liked the look of the maduro wrapper. It was a very nice dark brown and probably one of the smoothest maduros I’ve seen, the several prominent veins gave it a very appealing look. The initial aroma was of a barnyard; more specifically it reminded me of visiting the horse barn on my grandmother’s farm. After a closer inspection there didn’t appear to be any soft spots or bulges the bunch was firm with a little give and a pre-light draw was perfect with just a hint of resistance.

The light was almost effortless almost like it was fulfilling its natural place in the world as a lit cigar. Throughout the smoke the burn was even with a white and typically firm ash. I did have several wrapper splits on this one, three in all. They all seemed to happen in the first half and fairly close to the ash line. This certainly might have been caused by the environmental factors, but after the halfway point I didn’t have any more issues. So I can’t really pinpoint a single reason for it, the splits didn’t adversely influence the burn so I didn’t let it concern me too much.

This smoke started off weak and one-dimensional, it was un-inspiring and had it continued I would have stopped before I got half-way through it. It did redeem itself after the first third; it started off slowly and built up gradually. Once over the first third I finally started getting a discernable spicy note followed shortly after by a light woody taste. Then half-way through the second third a earthy compost combination took front stage and quickly gave way to a leather taste with a hint of roasted coffee. The finish was a more pronounced woody taste with spicy undertones.

Overall I enjoyed the second half of this stick; I just wish the first third hadn’t been so disappointing. Unfortunately I have to take off a little for that and while I wouldn’t turn another stick down I don’t think I’ll be adding more into my stash at this time. While the manufacturer claims that this is a medium strength smoke I didn’t find it as complex or as ample in flavor as other medium smokes I’ve had. That being said I’d give this a respectable 37 out of 50.

What do you hear?
Just the Rain.
Then grab your gun and bring in the cat!

Last edited by CigarDaddy; 01-17-2010 at 07:30 AM.
CigarDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote