Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
macsauce13
Club Member

Liga Privada T52 Toro

Liga Privada T-52 Toro

Drew Estate created the Liga Privada T52 Toro "stalk cut habano" for Steve Saka's personal enjoyment and this cigar was released in 2009 at the New Orleans IPCPR show. A departure from the flavored cigars and budget sticks Drew Estate is known for, the Liga Privada T52 is quite complex. A multi-country blend of tobaccos the core of this cigar is the Dominican, Honduran, and Nicaraguan filler. The Brazilian Mata Fina binder is grown by Jose Fuego. The wrapper is a new wrapper never before used called the "stalk cut habano".

Initial Thoughts:
Man this really is a beautiful cigar. Rich, dark and super oily. Made firm but gives just a bit under pressure.

First Third:
Unfortunately this first third has been quite disappointing. As a huge Liga fan, I really expect the best out of each and every cigar. More often than not, that is exactly what you get, but tonight this cigar is just not there. There is a real lack of flavor and complexity in this example of the blend. Even the construction is a little off, having to correct it several times throughout the first 15-20 minutes of the cigar. Even the girlfriend sitting next to me comments that although it doesn't smell bad to her, it almost smells like there is "nothing to the cigar." She may have a better palate than me, even without having ever smoked a cigar! The flavor is just dull, consisting of hay and a distinct harshness that is very unfamiliar to the cigar.

Second Third:
The construction problems have dulled quite a bit and I'm at least getting to sit outside in the nice Ohio weather and relax without having to constantly touch up. The smell coming from the cigar has gotten a bit sweeter, more normal for what I am used to, but honestly the flavor hasn't really shaped up. Having recently just gotten this particular cigar from a trade, I have to wonder if it has been improperly stored as it just tastes dry, like the oils and goodness have just dried up. The hay remains the predominant taste with bits of pepper popping in and out. On occasion there is a bit of a deep chocolatey flavor that is there for just a moment.

Final Third:
About an inch away from the band at this point and just not enjoying the cigar at all. It is burning hot and jagged and completely atypical of the Liga Privada blend. Let it go just shortly after, and headed back inside frustrated after a poor experience with one of my favorite cigars.

Overall I would rate this particular cigar an 82.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
bolivar

I’m sorry you had such a bad experience.

Not long ago I posted a question as to what makes a cigar become completely mushy after lighting. This cigar was a Liga T-52 Robusto. The construction issues were so massive I couldn’t even smoke it.

After returning to the store where I bought the cigar I asked if this was typical. He said it wasn’t and promptly replaced the cigar at his cost.

I was really looking forward to smoking the cigar from all the good things I’ve hear about it. Unfortunately my experience with the second example was much along the lines of the sample you reviewed.

Maybe next time? Only if it were free.
bolivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:59 AM   #3
mannish
Herf God

I ordered some T52 & T9s - I forget the size of the T52 I smoked but was disappointed

I have enjoyed the T9 in the past but suffice to say Drew Estates ain't getting no mo my money.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
alfa

I am never disappointed by these. Strong and complex, burns like a razor.
alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

While I've never had a T-52, I've had a bunch of the #9s and I love 'em. Too bad they're effectively priced out of my range...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
Shadow
Charter Member
Herf Meister

Love the #9's and I keep some around to smoke for special occasions, just too expensive to be in my regular cigar rotation.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
alfa

One of my favorite vendors sells these four-at-a-time, and it makes for part of a very nice 4/5-pack shipment.
alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
drfred

Thumbs down

I, too, really wanted to like this cigar. The construction issues have popped up in the 2 I have smoked, holes in the middle of the cigar like it was rolled on a rod! Nice flavors from what I could get. Not only that, but the Undercrown I got with them did the exact same thing! Until they get these problems corrected, I, for one, won't be buying any more LPs!
Fred
drfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
mannish
Herf God

IMHO they are overrated
Old 04-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
drfred

Talking

I have to retract my earlier post and add that after smoking more than a few LP's, they have become one of my go to sticks! The T52 is my fave right now followed by the #9. Haven't run into any more construction problems and I actually prefer them to any smoke I have. Also, customer service with JDrew is unbelievable in this day and time!
There, I've said it! And, as always, YMMV!!!!

Fred
drfred is offline   Reply With Quote