Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 05-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #31
flipflop
Contributing Editor
CW Butt Whisperer
Herf God

My wife loves Starbuck's coffee and she doesn't like sugary taste or any sugar in her coffee.

I drink it too, and I never found their coffee to be the least bit sugary.
-- Ghengis Khan
flipflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:43 AM   #32
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmine7075 View Post
My thought is that it was over roasted on purpose to encourage the consumer to order more sugary coffee drinks at $5-6 per cup.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Sugary would be all the machiatos and crap like that with an ounce of syrup added, you know the ones the true coffee drinkers line up for

My understanding of the master plan was over roasting allowed them to buy cheaper grade B beans. I remember many years ago when they showed up in Chicago they had their people on all the talk shows (radio and TV) 'teaching' Chicagoans that the taste they wanted was the taste of Starbucks which is the taste of char.

And when there was nothing else to compare to, well they had drinks most of us never had (latte, etc). They did launch the local roasting revolution, so in a way, we can blame them on the many, many superior roast coffees out there.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #33
carmine7075
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
My wife loves Starbuck's coffee and she doesn't like sugary taste or any sugar in her coffee.

I drink it too, and I never found their coffee to be the least bit sugary.

To clarify, the coffee is burnt on purpose to discourage the sale of black coffee at $1 and to encourage people to order vanilla Carmel macchiato mochacinos with whipped cream on top at $6 instead. I.e. To cover up the bitter...

Just my Starbucks subliminal marketing conspiracy theory.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:38 PM   #34
flipflop
Contributing Editor
CW Butt Whisperer
Herf God

I like bitter. (Think English beers and ales.)
-- Ghengis Khan
flipflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #35
carmine7075
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
I like bitter. (Think English beers and ales.)

I do too, but I would bet the majority of Starbucks customers do not.

My observation is that most people in line order the sweet creations.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:38 AM   #36
fvfanmc
Self Exiled
Herf God

I don't like sugar but I still don't like Starbucks coffee.

The one store cup of coffee I do like is Dunkin Donuts regular blend. When I was working nights, I always stopped at the Nearest DD for coffee.

Believe it or not, Burger coffee is worse than Starbucks.
fvfanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:12 AM   #37
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I would not equate bitter (and to me bitter is like quinine and other herbals) and burnt. Starbucks to me is less bitter and more burnt. Bitter coffee (I think) comes from not using enough grounds. And Starbucks did teach people to use more coffee... which also increases demand.

They were/are/will be marketing geniuses.

The sugar thing may be more of giving Americans what we like, we are sugar addicts, and that sugary drink stuff sure appeals to younger coffee drinkers.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote