Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2015, 05:46 PM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

IPCPR Cigar: Crux Bull & Bear

It's been more than a week since I have had the opportunity to have a cigar, so there's time tonight, and, damn it, I'm having one. This cigar, the Crux Bull and Bear, certainly looked nice sitting on my dining room table. The one they gave me is the 5.5" x 55 size which does not seem to have a name. The larger offering does, being named Marblehead, and it's a real jawbreaker at 6" x 60. The capa is dark, and quite appealing.

Crux bills this cigar as full-bodied on their website. The aforementioned dark capa is a Habano Jalapa, while the rest of the cigar is all Nicaraguan tobaccos. It clipped rather nicely and lit with two matches; there's a hot wind out of the northwest and it decided to blow just as I struck my first match.

There's a sort of "pale" flavor to this right out of the gate, it's kind of woody and vegetal here at the outset. Hopefully it will gain some more and more pleasant flavor as we go.

1. An inch into it, there are hints of cedar and cinnamon in the wafting smoke, which is generous. However, there's not much of it in the drawn smoke which is still somewhat flat and lifeless.

2. I am another half inch in, and little change to the flavor. This is all rather disappointing to be honest, although credit is due to the Plasencia factory construction, a slight flaw in lighting caused a little irregular burn, it has corrected itself, and there's still a great deal of smoke. Sad that it's still flat, though.

3. Now just past the band, there's a bit of sweetness and coffee evident in the smoke. But, unlike the Crux website, it's only mild bodied. It hasn't been a bad smoke, just not what I expected. The burn and ash are doggone near flawless, now, and the ending is not harsh or hot at all; those are points in its favor. My iced tea almost overpowers the cigar's flavor. Many will enjoy this, especially the Cigar Weekly Mild Cigar Coalition.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Last edited by TommyBB; 04-18-2016 at 11:36 AM.
TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote