Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2014, 04:16 AM   #18
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
It got me to thinking whether variety is always a good thing. Especially for the seasoned smoker. Most of use limit our food and drink choices. We find what we like and stick with it. Why should it be any different with a cigar?
Interesting analogy, Rob. Me? I try hard to avoid limiting my food and drink choices, because I learned decades ago that my tastes change. I make it a point to revisit things I've disliked in the past because I've been surprised on many occasions to find myself enjoying something I didn't enjoy before. Applies to food and drink just as with cigars. Some folks crave consistency and predictability, some crave variety. Both are perfectly valid approaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke View Post
Interesting thing is I've gravitated toward "less expensive" cigars. I find that I have very high expectations on the more expensive cigars. I always feel let down (there are some exceptions).
We need a Like button!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznut View Post
"Not always, but at least regularly," I'd say (speaking only for myself).

I just find that it's quite important for me to encounter new sensations, if only to then be able to revisit 'old favourites' and see them in a slightly different light.

Quality exists within a tremendously wide range of aromatic and taste parameters. I wouldn't want to deprive myself of too many of those experiences.
See above, Doug. You're NOT speaking only for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhawg View Post
Like a lot of you all, I have the old stand-bys & favorites, but i never get tired of trying the mega-selection we have these days. Same approach with my single malts! Smoke what you like & like what you smoke! -- RH
Two key points in your post. The "mega-selection" you rightly note is what has caused me to almost entirely quit buying cigars. I got caught up in that "gotta try everything new" syndrome, and practically before I knew it, I wound up with fourteen 48-qt coolerdors plus overflow storage stuffed to the gills with cigars. At my current rate of consumption, there is no way I'll smoke them all before the actuarial tables say I'll croak. There is a point at which enough is too much, and we passed that years ago IMO.

No matter, because you hit the nail on the head: Smoke what you like & like what you smoke!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote