Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDuck View Post
...I prefer the better blends such as JW Black...
A classic, albeit at a slight premium. Rich mouth feel with a lot going on.

Others (not overly expensive) you may want to seek out:

The Gordon Highlanders (William Grant & Sons)... Not even sure this is being produced anymore, though there may be more than a few bottles still kicking around. Lush in style, with Speyside roundness enhanced by oak driven spice. Pleasurable anytime.

Islay Mist 12 Year Old... You can sense the Laphroaig medicinal contribution here as it plays off a more Highland centered sweet malt aspect and good grains. Appetizing stuff.

White Horse... Hadn't tried this one in eons until I revisited it fairly recently. Starts out with a teasing smoothness, then fills in the middle with a puff or two of youthful Caol Ila smokiness before tailing off pleasantly. Solid whisky.

John Glaser of Compass Box fame is a genius when it comes to blends. His products don't exactly come cheap, but they're worth every penny of their respective asking prices. Here are my cursory impressions of but three:

Great King Street Artist's Blend... Heavily Highland content. Honeyed citrus and spice. Seems light at first, but stays the course with palate penetration and length.

Oak Cross (all malt)... A big Highland input once again, with the toastiness of the oak providing structure and balancing firmness. Dangerously drinkable.

The Spice Tree (all malt)... The heftiest of the trio. Subtle touches of saltiness and smoke from the core of Clynelish (one of my favourite northern Highland malts) tempered by textural smoothness, only to be relit further in by input from the toasted European oak cask heads. Fabulous!