Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
Renaissance Man
Owner Emeritus
Herf God

Zippo Test Results.....

I was firmly in the anti-Zippo camp for years but recently decided to put my bias to the test. I selected a $9 plain Zippo as my primary source of ignition and a ~$5/quart can of naphtha as the fuel. Test period has been approximately the past two months.

Lighting process:

1. Let the fumes disperse (1 - 2 seconds max) when you open the cover.
2. Toast the foot without directly touching the flame.
3. Gently blow out once.
4. If additional ignition is required, gently draw in but do not allow the foot to directly touch the flame.

The result: I do not detect any adverse taste using a Zippo in this manner. Additionally, even when I let the yellow portion of the flame touch the foot (a bad practice, IMO, no matter which type of ignition you prefer), there were no adverse effects.

I wonder if those who claim they can taste the fluid are really detecting the smell?

And, if you were wondering, my palate is quite capable of detecting the difference - I have been double-blind tasting wines for over thirty years (until I quit drinking two years ago) and cigars for almost twenty.....

Bottom line: I am comfortable that my bias against Zippos was unfounded and that Zippos represent a viable, reliable and extremely cost-effective source of ignition for cigars.

YMMV.....
My current rotation: Bolivars (RC, PC, BBF, CE and Corona JR), Punch Punch, El Original Claro Corona and Lancero, Davidoff Grand Cru #1, VR Famoso, Upmann #2, and R&J Churchill.
Renaissance Man is offline   Reply With Quote