Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 11-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #121
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

I have a big pot of homemade chicken & vegetable soup simmering on the stove for this evening. Given that there's the possibility of some overnight snow in the local forecast, it somehow seemed an appropriate meal.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:45 AM   #122
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

We're nowhere near as cold as you are in Montreal, but it has been so warm this fall that the change of weather here in Atlanta is still a bit of a shock. We tend to have very short springs and falls, especially in La Nina year like the one we're currently entering.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:44 AM   #123
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

made a chick pea and pork stew... too much salt, which must have been in the Peruvian sausage and ham. It was still good, could have been better.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:04 AM   #124
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
We're nowhere near as cold as you are in Montreal, but it has been so warm this fall that the change of weather here in Atlanta is still a bit of a shock.
Here too! The leaves didn't even really begin to change colour until last month, and many are still hanging on the trees (and that despite a series of strong wind gusts over the last little while).

One thing for sure... It IS a tad on the cool side today. The forecast high is -4ºC. At least it's bright and sunny.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:35 AM   #125
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I don't know how you do it, Doug. I don't think I could live in a cold climate anymore. I didn't much like it as a kid in Illinois and Indiana. You're even colder in Montreal.

Makes me shivver thinking about it.

As for what is for dinner tonight, stir fry of sirloin, broccoli, asparagus, red onions and red peppers in a spicy garlic brown sauce. Tomorrow is going to be Thai green curry pork with bamboo shoots, onion and water chestnuts in a rich coconut milk green curry sauce. Gonna take a break from the brisket for a couple of days.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #126
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

it was 16 degrees just at dawn here this morning, a few flurries. The city got a 1/2 of snow that caused numerous accidents.

I had to turn the heat on this morning, there were insufficient layers to put on to get warm. I had hoped to do 2 full months without AC or heat, came up almost 3 weeks short on that.

After a kick to the groin day at work I think I will either eat out or get carryout.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
Old 11-15-2017, 06:35 AM   #127
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

last night was brussel sprouts pan roasted with pancetta and white wine, potatoes roasted in butter and olive oil, and cod roasted atop the potatoes for the last 12 minutes. Pretty dang good. Hard to decide which smell was better... the butter roasting in the oven with the taters or the pancetta frying up before adding the sprouts...

Old 11-15-2017, 08:19 AM   #128
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Commercial frozen lasagna. I think I would pass out if I tried to make something from scratch tonight. Might enlist the girls to put together some brisket tacos if they are interested.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:22 AM   #129
vernonator
Herf Meister

Got a call from my meat supplier (retired cattle farmer) that he is taking cattle in for processing late December - which means I need to eat up some beef (Getting another 1/2 early Jan). So tonight it will be Ribeye steaks with mushroom gravy, roasted potatoes and corn (frozen from the garden).

Last night was a roast in tomato gravy with rice....lots of beef to eat AND I am due for another hog in a month or so. I have 4 whole shoulders in the freezer that will be going on the smoker next week for pulled pork thru the winter.
vernonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #130
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Wow, what a windfall!

Unborn lives matter too.