Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Cigar and Pipes deal not working

It looks like our sponsor reduced the discount from 20% off to 12% off. I was just trying to place an order and even that code won't work. Does anyone know what's going on?

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Did you contact them with a WTF? The banner says an extra 12% on every order. But the banner is also for 25% off certain brands. Maybe the 12% only applies to those brands?
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
ak2000
Charter Member
Herf God

I just went through the same thing. I was told by their customer service that they lowered the CW discount from the original 20% to 12%. They also told me that the 25% off indicated in the banner ad means their regular discount price listed plus the 12% off equals a minimum of 25% off MSRP. However, our discount code does not apply to everything on the site so even interpreted as 25% off is not entirely accurate.
JLOH #19
ak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:30 PM   #4
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

If the discount code no longer applies to everything on the site then we should be made aware of what it does apply to. I'm not going to play a guessing game. Additionally, their regular prices are generally higher than other vendors. The 20% discount brought the prices lower than the competition. Even the 12% discount would likely bring their prices lower than the competition or at least even to the competition. But I'm not going to waste my time trying to figure out which cigars the discount works with.

I like C & P, and they have had excellent service. But to be completely honest, when it comes to buying cigars I will always go with the best price. I appreciate good customer service, but the reality is that the other vendors I buy from all have excellent customer service. Even if shipping is slower with someone else, or their service isn't as perfect, price is always the deciding factor for me. No, I won't buy from a vendor who sells trash or has awful customer service no matter what the price. But when two vendors are pretty much equal, price is the deciding factor.

I want to support our advertisers. But I'm not going to pay more. I'd rather buy from someone else and make a donation to CW.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:41 PM   #5
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Geez Andy, ya gotta be a lawyer to decipher that! F****n' shell game!
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:49 PM   #6
ak2000
Charter Member
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrundog View Post
Geez Andy, ya gotta be a lawyer to decipher that! F****n' shell game!
I agree, I don't want to work for a vendor's best price. It should be straightforward and easy to get. If not, I simply move on to the next one. As Rob pointed out, there are plenty of good shops out there.
JLOH #19
Old 11-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #7
ak2000
Charter Member
Herf God

Rob, in their defense, they have this statement in their Retailer posts:

"NORMAL PROMO CODE RESTRICTIONS APPLY ON: DAILY DEALS, CIGAR SAMPLERS & SECRET SPECIAL CATEGORY ITEMS"

The only problem is that it's not always clear when clicking on an item whether or not it falls under these categories or not.
JLOH #19
Old 11-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #8
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2000 View Post
Rob, in their defense, they have this statement in their Retailer posts:

"NORMAL PROMO CODE RESTRICTIONS APPLY ON: DAILY DEALS, CIGAR SAMPLERS & SECRET SPECIAL CATEGORY ITEMS"

The only problem is that it's not always clear when clicking on an item whether or not it falls under these categories or not.
I stopped by the website tonight to place an order for a box of CAO Brazilia. I wanted to give the 6 x 60 size a chance. They are not on sale and there is no listed special on them. But the promo code does not work and there is no explanation as to why.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #9
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Okay. Just checked again and all of the CAO Brazilia are listed as being a daily special. The prices don't seem special to me.

But, there is a "Daily Deals" tab on the side so you can see which ones will not qualify.

In any event, at least for this purchase, it's better to for me to try elsewhere.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:04 PM   #10
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Ironically, I just got an email from them promoting a new special. The email provides a code for a 12% discount, but the code is different. In other words, they are no longer proving CW members with an extra discount. They are providing us with the same discount that everyone else gets.