Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2005, 03:09 PM   #1
Black Plague
Herf Meister

Bolívar Petit Corona

Bolívar
Petit Corona
5 1/8 x 42 Mareva

Appearance: Well-formed and squarely box-pressed. The wrapper color was a perfect colorado peppered with big black oil spots. It wasn't nearly as yellow-tinted as most Bolívar wrappers I've seen are. Very few veins and a good cap.

Prelight: Cut very easily. The feel of the wrapper on this cigar was very soft and velvety and it felt great between my fingers. Prelight draws hinted at chocolate, spice, and earth.

Flavor: Exploded with wood, cocoa, and lots of spice ranging from ripe black peppercorns to juicy jalapeños. Starting off, the finish seemed a tad shallow, but a little time allowed it to deepen and reach greatness. As the initial barrage cooled off, the smoke took a decidedly chocolatey direction, with the cocoa flavors growing and being joined with a semi-sweet flavor. Drops of honey became apparent. By now, the finish had come around and was woody and bittersweet. The strong flavor of wood in this cigar was unique, having a slightly vegetal dimension to it, but in a definite good way. It conjured images in my head of an hickory tree covered in green, creeping vines. Shallow draws off this mareva yielded a wonderful baked cookie taste, almost like gingersnaps, and the sharp flavor of cedar. Moving into the second third, the wood acquired a robusto, barbecue-like taste and I could detect small hints of apple. The aroma was reminiscient of honey and ginger. The smoke was incredibly mellow yet full-bodied and strong. As the final third came in, the wood flavors intensified further and the smoke changed to more subdued, earthy tones with a finish of toasted tobacco. I smoked it until I couldn't even hold in my fingers anymore and it never became hot or picked up any negative flavors.

Construction: The draw was easy and nice. The ash was medium to dark gray, and though flaky in places, held on nicely. The burn was wavy, but never got out of control or required any corrections.

Misc: Smoked with a mojito to cool the spice.

Summary: Thanks to madurodave for providing this sample. One of the best Bolívar Petit Coronas I've had so far. This is what every other mareva in the Habanos line-up hopes to be. I have no idea what the box code for this cigar was. It was very refined yet retained its strength, so I imagine it is at least a year old, possibly more. Absolutely wonderful.
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote