Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

E cigarettes

Let's blather about them just a bit.

Dozens of people here have used the term "nicotine delivery device" to describe cigarettes; it fits. That's the end of that discussion. A cigarette is in its most essential description, a device that delivers nicotine via smoke from combusting tobacco.

Go to the Ecig. I read an article a few days back, and gee, they used that very term. Nicotine delivery device. They were right, seriously, what is it, besides a device that sprays flavored nicotine into your mouth? That's what it is. that's all it is.

So, now we have a dilemma. We aren't selling tobacco, we are selling nicotine. Straight, raw nicotine, a drug/toxic substance, in convenient spray tubes. How are we getting away with it? because nicotine is legal to sell, as is tobacco. Funny thing, it's also legal to sell bubble gum, cotton candy, and pez flavored nicotine. Gee, this just sounds more wrong with every step.

My puzzlement is how long will it be before the sale of nicotine in the essential or chemical form is totally banned? Tobacco is legal, and hard to ban, but what about the pure form? Aerosol nicotine? Why can't it be banned? No particular reason not to, is there?

One of the things that has been bothering me about it is that just like designer drugs, law and policy are not keeping up. I found out a few weeks back that the school system had to create a policy to ban them, because they are tobacco free. Are minors legally barred from buying them?

The funny thing I read in another article a few months back is that these things are actually meant to help you stop smoking. It's a cigarette substitute that allows you to stop smoking. (don't ask me what that shit means, I didn't write it.) If that's the case, how come they come in cute colors, and flavors like jolly rancher watermelon? I've never seen nicotine gum in strawberry banana, so why do these things have to be flavored?

I'm expecting a shitstorm of absolutely biblical proportions pretty soon because of these. There are so many problems with the whole thing, there are a lot of loose ends and areas of attack. I wonder if the anti smoking lobby is eventually going to back burner tobacco somewhat and go after these with everything they've got.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote