Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 03-26-2008, 07:22 AM   #1
samiam2
Club Member

$30 Whiskey

Whiskey reading:

The Sweet Spot: $30 Hooch
By David Wondrich

After extensive polling and market research, or at least lengthy editorial discussion over drinks, we here at the Esquire Institute for Advanced Research in Mixology have come to believe that the male brain divides the world of whiskey into three main categories, based not on incidentals such as origin or style, but on price.

Anything under $30 (or a couple of bucks less, outside major urban areas) seems cheap and is thus in some way suspect. Anything over about $35 goes into the "let me think about it" section, for special occasions. That bit in between seems to be the sweet spot, where the whiskey is perceived as both potentially good and immediately purchasable.

The whole scheme is irrational, of course. There are loads of great whiskeys under $30, and not a few over it that kinda suck. Still, there’s little point in fighting our psychological hang-ups. If, therefore, you’re going to spend between $29.99 and $34.99* on a nice bottle of whiskey, here are five that we buy.

Woodford Reserve ($31.99): Since $30 is at the high end of the price range for American whiskeys, bargains are to be had. The Woodford is a huge, sweet pussycat of a whiskey — all creamed corn and vanilla pudding, but with alcohol.

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 ($29.99): Ten years slumbering in the wood leaves this one fragrant of old leather and tasting of dark-chocolate-covered cherries, with a looooong finish.

Bushmills Black Bush ($33.99): Biscuity, slightly musky aromas, and a full-bodied graininess on the palate, with just a bit of nip to show you that it’s serious.

Chivas Regal 12 ($29.99): With demand up and the dollar passed out in the gutter, you can basically forget single-malt Scotches for $30. That leaves the blends, and since they include this velvety smooth old warhorse, that’s not a hardship.

Suntory Yamazaki 12-Year-Old Single Malt Whisky ($34.99): Not all single malts are from Scotland. Japan’s been making them for 70 years and knows how. The native oak barrels it’s partly aged in impart hints of incense to a clean, rich, and barley-sweet base spirit.

*Prices based on major New York City retailer. Prices elsewhere may vary, and for the better.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
casual
Club Member

I like the Woodford. Sams Club has it for $27 or so. Most other places it is $32 or so.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
Linn
Club Member

You can't miss with; Knob Creek, Ridgemont Reserve 1792, or Evan Williams Single Barrel.

Linn
Old 03-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
NolanE
Club Member

working in a liquor store, bourbon has the best case price (which is what the employee discount is, single bottles at case price)

so i can get woodford's reserve for about $23 and knob creek for about $18

glorious job for bourbon drinkers
Old 03-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
SMOKINACTUARY
Huge Cranium
Herf God

Old Pulteney and Dalmore are also good single malts at the $30 price point.
...the gas chambers of Auschwitz, Treblinka, and Maidanek were ultimately prepared not in some ministry or other in Berlin, but rather at the desks and in the lecture halls of nihilistic scientists and philosophers.
- Viktor Frankl
SMOKINACTUARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
casual
Club Member

Dont forget the Evan Williams Black Label 1792 for less than $10 sometimes.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
otto_sear

I can buy Gentleman Jack for $20 and I am actually quite fond of it. Nothing "suspect" there. It's like regular JD without the burn. Very sweet when mixed with coke- and that mix is quite handy when used to accompany a fine cigar. YMMV
otto_sear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
SmoKerch
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual
Dont forget the Evan Williams Black Label 1792 for less than $10 sometimes.
$30 = three bottles

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:08 AM   #9
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKINACTUARY
Old Pulteney and Dalmore are also good single malts at the $30 price point.
Yep.
I especially like the crisp coastal characteristics of the Old Pulteney 12YO.
Aberlour 10YO would probably also fall into this price range.
And how about Balvenie 10YO? I imagine it might cost a similar amount Southside.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:50 AM   #10
SMOKINACTUARY
Huge Cranium
Herf God

Doug,

I gave a bottle of the Old Pulteney to my synagogue for the Sabbath Kiddush and it was amazing how it was appreciated by seasoned malt drinkers and novices alike.
...the gas chambers of Auschwitz, Treblinka, and Maidanek were ultimately prepared not in some ministry or other in Berlin, but rather at the desks and in the lecture halls of nihilistic scientists and philosophers.
- Viktor Frankl
SMOKINACTUARY is offline   Reply With Quote