Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-15-2017, 08:38 AM   #11
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
lentils don't have to be pasty, they make a hell of a good soup.
My wife and I make a great ham and bean soup - using Navy (great northern) beans. Especially good if I use the bone from a double smoked ham.

Beans - soaked over night, cleaned of stones/etc.
3 cups diced celery
1 cup diced onion
2 cans of diced tomatoes
all the left over ham from your bone, diced.

(to make the stock)
one onion quartered
3 stalks celery
1 chopped carrot
2 bay leaves
One ham bone, most of the meat removed.
5 quarts of water
a bit of salt and black pepper

simmer for a while to reduce the stock to about 4qts. Remove bone, strain out the stock veg.

drain the beans and add them to the stock, with about a tablespoon of salt. Add 2 cups of water and simmer until the beans are not rocks anymore (not soft, but you can feel them softening) - about an hour to 90 minutes, if I recall...

At this point you have to judge... you want the celery cooked, but not mushed... I normally go another 15 minutes here and then add the celery. Then 30 minutes add the onions. You might need to add another cup of water here too.

When the beans are chewable (but not soft) your celery and onions should be coming around too. Add another bay leaf, and the cans of tomatoes. additional salt and pepper to taste.

bring back to a boil, then reduce to simmer again. 15-20 minutes more and the beans should be just about right. add the ham chunks, return to a boil then turn off and cover. Let stand about 30 minutes, and serve!
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote