Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2005, 07:48 PM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Gurkha Master's Choice Toro

"Otherwise Delightful"

Gurkha Master’s Choice Toro

Producer: Beach Cigar Group, under the direction of Kaizad Hansotia
Packaging: The Toro came cradled within a cedar sheath and was covered with clear plastic.
Dimensions: 6 inches long by 50 ring gauge
Wrapper: 5 year old Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro
Binder: Cameroon
Filler: Cuban-seed piloto from the Cibao Valley of the Dominican Republic

Date smoked: April 5th, 2005
Accompanying drink: I poured some Bowmore Darkest Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky alongside the Gurkha, and kept a tall glass of cool water at hand. Liquor and cigar complemented one another admirably.

Texture of capa: The wrapper of the Master’s Choice showed very suppressed veining, the fine capillaries almost appearing as though they had been ironed into the surface of the leaf. Two barely perceptible longitudinal ridges betrayed concealed creases within the tripa, while the semi-gloss capa sported a considerable degree of tooth.
Colour of capa: The full Maduro wrapper exhibited a dark walnut hue liberally splattered and streaked with blackish tar and faintly highlighted with rosewood. Its underside revealed a moderately lighter burnt umber colour with an Indian red cast.
Colour of capote: The binder was Van Dyke brown with sepia markings.
Colour of tripa: Ranging from cocoa brown to charred umber, the filler leaves displayed a very sombre tone overall.

Construction: Perfectly cylindrical with a well-formed internal scroll pattern, and adorned with a deeply set double-seam cap with a rounded head, the Toro felt medium-firm to firm in my fingertips. The fabrication of this vitola was 1st-rate.
Draw: The draw evidenced good technical characteristics, if being just a tad on the easy side of ideal in terms of tempo.
Combustion: The solid ash, graduating from pale limestone grey at its perimeter to medium charcoal at its center, routinely held on for greater than 1½ inches at a time. Once disengaged, it left behind a blunt cone. No corrections or relights were required. This constituted an impressive performance, all told.
Total smoking time: I partook of more than 1½ hours with the Master’s Choice.

Pre-light aroma: The distinctly chocolatey, gamey and winey fragrance of the Gurkha vividly reminded me of Michel Cluizel’s single-estate dark chocolate from the Los Ancones Plantation in Santo Domingo. I also discerned hints of macerated ginger and rich farm soil.
Pre-light draw: Drawing through the end of the unlit Toro elicited a tingling, almost effervescent medley of ginger, pepper and cedar, as earthy and rooty Dominican leaf brought up the rear.
Post-light aroma: Once ignited, the cigar sent streams of aquamarine and turquoise tinged grey smoke skyward, carrying forth a perfumed pungency of deeply toasted tobacco sweetened by scents of smouldering honey-coated leaves and mulled wine. Faint flashes of earth, coffee and chocolate also rose into the air.

Palate entry: The relatively gentle and discreetly sweet overture combined smooth Dominican tobacco with a telltale infusion of floral and mineral notes.
Mid point: Crackling fruit zest and spices now vied for my attention as coffee and chocolate nuances drifted in and out of the picture. Behind these lay a core of reasonably rich yet unobtrusive tobacco.
Latter stages: Gaining steadily in strength, the Gurkha radiated a pepper and licorice-laced tobbaco taste enveloping a refreshing undercurrent of watermelon as well as a practically chewy gingerbread quality. As the cigar darted toward the finish line, it shot out more pointillistic jabs of dark coffee.

Summary: Progressing from a medium to a medium-full presence on the palate, the Gurkha Master’s Choice Maduro Toro provided a heady and high-toned smoking experience. Nevertheless, I found myself desiring just a tad more solid underpinning to help flesh out and integrate the otherwise delightful flavour sensations.

I would like to thank Cigar Weekly's "Pulse" for granting me the opportunity to try out and enjoy this well-crafted specimen. Your gesture of kindness is very much appreciated, Adam!