Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:28 PM   #1
kevie49

New pipe(s)

OK, I've been a cigar smoker since I was 18 but I've never actually smoked a pipe. I've spent the last month researching the topic via Internet and video sites. I've just ordered two pipes, a corn cob to begin with and a BBB Treble Briar Pipe as well as a few different tobaccos, pipe tool and pipe cleaners. I heard that you really should start with a lower price pipe due to the fact that it's easy for newbies to burn/singe a new pipe. I'll report back with my first pipe experiences.

In the mean time, I would appreciate any advice for a newbie pipe smoker.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
kevie49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
ak2000
Charter Member
Herf God

Good luck with it, hope you enjoy!

Here is a good guide:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/information/howto/
JLOH #19
ak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:16 PM   #3
kevie49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2000 View Post
Good luck with it, hope you enjoy!

Here is a good guide:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/information/howto/
Thank you sir, mucho appreciated

Old 01-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #4
Smokestack Jack
Herf God

Enjoy your pipes. Sounds like you have a good start.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #5
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

The pipe journey begins, enjoy and jot down your thoughts here.
SLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:04 PM   #6
kevie49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLR View Post
The pipe journey begins, enjoy and jot down your thoughts here.
Thank you very much for the introduction and good wishes. I shall leave my thoughts in the thread 😀
Old 02-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #7
kevie49

My order has arrived in full, everything except my lighter (which has been marked as 'lost in post, replacement sent'). I've just smoked my first bowl with Condor Blended using the corn cob pipe. I'll post some thoughts shortly (maybe in a new thread).

The tobaccos I've purchased are Condor Blended, St Brunos, Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake and Samuel Gawith Navy Flake.

Last edited by kevie49; 02-02-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:45 PM   #8
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

Oh wow, your tobacco selections are awesome. Did you go to Turmeaus shop? Nice.
SLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:50 PM   #9
kevie49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLR View Post
Oh wow, your tobacco selections are awesome. Did you go to Turmeaus shop? Nice.
No, sadly there isn't a tobacconist on the island, however Turmeaus have excellent customer service and I'm happy to support them. TBH the Condor was a tribute to my great grandfather who always smoked Condor (although he always had the regular green packet) so I was being nostalgic there. I'm looking forward to trying a variety of tobaccos.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:19 PM   #10
kevie49

OK, so I thought that I'd jot down some thoughts on my initial smoke on my new pipe. I plucked for Condor for both nostalgic purposes (my great grandfather loved Condor) and also the fact that out of the tobaccos that I purchased it was the mildest.

As this was my first smoke on a pipe I did plenty of online research, especially after my mate took up pipe smoking recently and told me his first bowl made him green as he was drawing far too heavily. I opted to try out the nose breathing technique that Muttonchop Piper demonstrates on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XggmvJUwmlc

I needed quite a few relights, especially at the start, but overall I seemed to settle and managed to get quite a steady burn in the end.

The smoke at the time of puffing was quite a bit milder than smoking the majority of cigars, however the lingering smell lasted far longer (7 hours later and the smell is still strong).

The taste of the tobacco was very mild and I experienced no bitterness or tongue bite. Sadly it made for a rather boring smoke as I expected it to develop a bit like a cigar does in the different thirds, but the taste remained the same throughout. It wasn't unpleasant, it was a mild tobacco taste, but little else with no hints of fruits, coffee or coco etc.

The burn was very slow. I'd been warned that smoking a pipe quickly, like a cigar, will lead to a bitter and hot smoke. I smoked the pipe for 50 mins and there was still more left in the bottom of the bowl but sadly my free time had run out and I had to put the pipe aside for the time being.

I left the filter in, although many people online suggested taking it out. I'm not sure of the exact difference in the smoking experience but I don't believe it hampered mine.

Overall I'm looking forward to trying more pipe tobacco. This Condor Blended is probably a good starter, but I can't see it becoming a regular of mine. I may try mixing it with something else and see how it goes.