Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 01-04-2009, 04:00 AM   #11
ferdelance
Herf Meister

So far my favorite roaster has been the Gene Cafe. I really enjoy it's beefyness, it's simplicity, and the way it roast.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:57 AM   #12
mshade
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdelance View Post
So far my favorite roaster has been the Gene Cafe. I really enjoy it's beefyness, it's simplicity, and the way it roast.
Had mine for almost two years now, and if it ever dies I wouldn't hesitate one minute to get another. Pricey yes, but for what it does - roast size; adjustable roast time & temp. during the roast (a huge selling point for me); ease of use & cleanup; able to observe clearly the stages of the roast; unbelievably quiet compared to air roasters; the ability to get more body, but retain the bright notes of the bean origin (another big selling point for me), are well worth the cost.($100 off during the introductory sale )

Until something better and cheaper comes out - the Behmor looks intriguing but the fire hazard potential, and roast chamber make me flinch a bit - the Gene Cafe is a home-roaster worth taking a look at.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #13
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

not sure I can justify the extra couple hundred for the Gene

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #14
oedipus1
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdelance View Post
I'm with Ted on this one. Love the GeneCafe. About as easy to use as it gets and you can adjust time and temperature ON THE FLY. For ME, I thought the coffees from the GeneCafe were heads above the same coffees roasted in the Behmor, brighter and more complex, regardless of degree of roast, primarily because of the Behmor's longer roast cycle. If you've roasted in a hot air popper, Fresh Roast or IRoast, and have a point of comparison, you'll notice a MARKED difference in coffee roasted in the Behmor. As a positive though, it's a one-pound roaster for less than $300.

That's just my opinion, and of course, if you like the coffee from the Behmor, that's what matters. Drink what you like and like what you drink!
oedipus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:28 AM   #15
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

well it is going to be a while before I buy a roaster... maybe a long while. We shall see...

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
Old 01-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #16
DrugCzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothecary Puff View Post
well it is going to be a while before I buy a roaster... maybe a long while. We shall see...
Heatgun/dogbowl....it's done well by me for a couple of years now. The roaster of choice for our troubled economic times, I'd dare say.

Last edited by DrugCzar; 01-21-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: spelling
DrugCzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #17
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I work mostly on road now and then on weekends, so there isn't much time, but it keeps the wolf from the door

Old 01-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #18
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrugCzar View Post
Heatgun/dogbowl....it's done well by me for a couple of years now. The roaster of choice for our troubled economic times, I'd dare say.
So that setup costs less than the $3 I paid for my first thrift-store Poppery? Or the $2.50 I paid last week for a Poppery II at Goodwill?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote