Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 11-18-2008, 04:46 AM   #1
DUplayboy
Herf Meister

Winter Release Beers

Picked up a sixer of Bell's Expedition Stout... Damn, black as coal. Tastes of malts, chocolate and coffee. 10.5%

Also picked up a four pack of Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout, quite pricey at $20, but its the nectar of the gods.

What ya'll drinking this winter?
Old 11-18-2008, 06:28 AM   #2
pnutbutrsangwich
Club Member

You're quite lucky to be a MidWesterner now in this regard! My jealousy runneth over!

I'll just have to keep looking out for Victory Hop Wallop. This might not even come out til February, but I know it's a "Winter" release beer. I don't much go for the Christmas stuff. They have all the negative elements of Pumpkin Ales and none of the positives in my opinion.

Sierra Nevada Celebration is good too...
Old 11-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Sam Adams put out their Christmas box, and for years it had the honey porter, a scotch ale, and one called old fezziweg.

Scotch ale had a better toasted/charred character to it that I loved. they honey porter was a good example of a sweeter porter, without a saccharine over malted taste. Fezziweg was a Belgian/English type, not really categorizable to either place, really, but it had some cinnamon, cardamom, and allspice taste to it, and a bit of orange. those three were really nice to have every year, but they also put in their pukey cranberry lambic. I threw away 3 bottles every year out of a 12 pack, and stopped buying. Screw them and their lambic.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:25 AM   #4
Breech
Club Member

Heads up all, Dogfish Head Brewing will be putting out their Chicory Stout on December 1.... Best damn stout you will come across!!

Talkin' 'bout some back rent, she lucky if she get any front rent.- John Lee Hooker

Strike While The Iron Is Hot!!
Breech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:30 AM   #5
Eurytos
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleeiii View Post
Heads up all, Dogfish Head Brewing will be putting out their Chicory Stout on December 1.... Best damn stout you will come across!!

O!

Thanks for the heads up on this one, I love their beer!!
Eurytos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleeiii View Post
Sounds interesting. that licorice toasted flavor ought to enhance the flavor of the toasted barley malt in a good stout. Too bad we probably won't see it here.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
Ubiquito

Deschutes brewery here in Oregon just released the 2008 Abyss Imperial Stout...I would have to say that of all the stouts that I have had that this is the most amazing stuff! Considered by many to be the best in the world.
Ubiquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
DUplayboy
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutbutrsangwich View Post

I'll just have to keep looking out for Victory Hop Wallop.

It's in Chicago already so I sure it's out in Jersey.

Got some Founders' Breakfast Stout today. Glorious. Can't wait for the Kentucky verision in February.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:12 AM   #9
Eurytos
Club Member

I just got my hands on something new this weekend that I really enjoyed. I don't think it is a winter release, it just happened to come out now..

It is called Ten Fiddy and it is produced by Oskar Blues.

Don't let the cans fool you, it is very tasty!

By new, I mean new to the Texas market. It could very well have been out for awhile somewhere else.

I have noticed things tend to take a little longer to get released here...

Thanks TABC!
Eurytos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #10
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Found the new Michelob brand, winter bourbon ale. Supposed to be aged with chopped bourbon barrels, and vanilla. I'm not terribly impressed, but I can see how some might like the added dimension. I thought that the ale itself was kind of lacking, and the barrel finish didn't help any for the over sweet gunky taste.