Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 07-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #1
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Watermelon beer.

Will it ever end!?

I thought that the world had come to an end when I discovered midori. Now it's come for the beer.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:15 AM   #2
macsauce13
Club Member

I keep seeing the New Belgium watermelon offering in stores. Have even seen several people carrying out 12-packs...Has anyone actually tried it? I can't imagine I would like it, but I'm very curious.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:36 AM   #3
SMOKINACTUARY
Huge Cranium
Herf God

Watermelon beer is really nice for summer. Remember the Belgians have a long tradition of making fruit beers. Fresh fruit is used.

They may not be to everyone's liking but they can me well made beers and nothing at all like the disgusting malternatives that are out there.
...the gas chambers of Auschwitz, Treblinka, and Maidanek were ultimately prepared not in some ministry or other in Berlin, but rather at the desks and in the lecture halls of nihilistic scientists and philosophers.
- Viktor Frankl
SMOKINACTUARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:00 AM   #4
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

That sounds disgusting. And here I thought that pumpkin beer was awful

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:01 AM   #5
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Just when I thought Humbolt hemp brew was as bad as beer could get (think beer brewed with bong water), they come up with something that sounds worse. I despise watermelon.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:36 AM   #6
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Its incomprehensible to me. Watermelon and beer. The two things, hoppy, fizzy, etc, all with the funk and sweetness of melon on top, just makes e think about sewing my lips together. If it was, as said above, just one of those wet fizzy malt brews that had no taste at all, and it turned out to be like watermelon soda with a shot of vodka in it, even that sounds pretty hideous, but it sounds like it would work.

I just choke on the entire fruit beer phenomenon. The other day when I was at hell mart, I saw something new. They have a big cooler at the back full of cases, and a smaller open shelf with the sixes. A third or so was devoted to the spritzers, root beers, etc. Another third was taken upwith lambics, fruits, etc. Then there were a big line of 20 and quart singles. There was less than ten feet devoted to quality beers, and by that, I am including MICHELOB. there were maybe 6-10 premiums/imports. Corona, heineken, modelo, guiness draft, etc. Not the stuff I'd buy.

booze is all about the flavored and sweetened stuff for a huge portion of america. If we would just legalize pills and pot, can you imagine what would happen to the liquor industry?
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #7
SMOKINACTUARY
Huge Cranium
Herf God

"Michelob" and "quality beer" in the same sentence is incomprehensible to me.
...the gas chambers of Auschwitz, Treblinka, and Maidanek were ultimately prepared not in some ministry or other in Berlin, but rather at the desks and in the lecture halls of nihilistic scientists and philosophers.
- Viktor Frankl
SMOKINACTUARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #8
carmine7075
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
Just when I thought Humbolt hemp brew was as bad as beer could get (think beer brewed with bong water), they come up with something that sounds worse. I despise watermelon.

I tried this watermelon beer, and it is truly awful.

However, I think craft brew jumped the shark with this one.

Gose style ale, as if that isnt bad enough, with cactus and grapefruit.

Last edited by carmine7075; 07-08-2016 at 11:42 AM.
carmine7075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:03 PM   #9
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKINACTUARY View Post
"Michelob" and "quality beer" in the same sentence is incomprehensible to me.
amen to that

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #10
flipflop
Contributing Editor
CW Butt Whisperer
Herf God

Watermelon beer?
-- Ghengis Khan
flipflop is offline   Reply With Quote