Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 03-20-2017, 07:54 AM   #1
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Paella

Looks simple, that pan is a royal pain in the ass. I scorched the rice in a couple of places (the idea is to have crunchy rice on the bottom.

We will try again next week, maybe.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:30 AM   #2
beevod
Herf God

Paella made right can be staggeringly wonderful. I've had it made by Certified Brazilians -- unbelievable.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #3
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

I love paella. I was at Sados Caracol resort in Playa Del Carmen back in January. They made this huge pan of paella by the pool. I was thinking it will probably not be that good since it is basically buffet prepped. But dang, it was really good. Lots of seafood in there. The spices made this dish amazing. I found this pic online, not my pic but it is from the same resort and it was the same paella we had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #4
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Paella is difficult to master and the pan is enormous, but when done properly is heavenly.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #5
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

the pan gets HOT very fast, I need to get better at turning it to even the heat. Flavor was good. I will get it figured out. Next one will be with chicken thighs.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
Old 03-25-2017, 04:01 AM   #6
N8DCJ
Club Member

Gr

The chicken thigh one sounds rather interesting ...

Couple general questions...

Did you use spanish chorizo or something else ?

What kind of paprika did you use , sweet,hot, smoked(i think spanish is smoked) ,spanish, hungarian??

Tia

Dan
N8DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #7
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

While Chuck Norris was on holiday in Spain, he ate some bad paella, causing him to take the largest shit known to man. That shit is now known as France.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:16 AM   #8
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DCJ View Post
Gr

The chicken thigh one sounds rather interesting ...

Couple general questions...

Did you use spanish chorizo or something else ?

What kind of paprika did you use , sweet,hot, smoked(i think spanish is smoked) ,spanish, hungarian??

Tia

Dan
I used spanish cooking chorizo, which looks like andouille or smoked sausage, but obviously has a lot of pimenton in it

I used pimenton... which is Spanish smoked dried paprika. I used sweet with a little of the hot at the end

Spanish pimenton has a flavor that I think is distinct from the Hungarian kind but you know recipes are suggestions not mandates

Old 03-30-2017, 08:32 AM   #9
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I made a chicken paella last night (with a bit of chorizo and a lot of garlic). Much better this time. I am amazed that the paella pan doesn't stick the rice.

I did get the crunchy stuff on the bottom better this time.

One thing I found that seemed to add a lot of flavor, after browning the thighs in the paella pan, I put them in a skillet and oven roasted them, then poured the roasting juice into the paella when I added the rice to the soffrito.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:16 PM   #10
beevod
Herf God

You'll make a wonderful wife to some deserving woman.