Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2005, 06:59 PM   #1
Fidel Castro
Banned

Plastic Odor coming from Viper 70% Humi Tubes. Can Odor get

I noticed a strong "plastic" odor that's coming from some homemade 4 ounce humidity tubes that are sitting inside my 400+ count footlocker style humidor. These tubes were purchased from Viper at Hearfelt Industries. Viper/Heartfelt Industries sells various humidification products like the plastic humi tubes with the 65% & 70% humidification beads and he also builds large cabinet size humidors.

Anyways, the plastic odor smell is kind of strong whenever I take a whiff inside the humidor. I hope that my cigars don't start tasting like plastic and I hope that the plastic odor doesn't penetrate inside my cigars. Some people in another cigar forum told me not to worry about the "plastic" odor smell that's coming from each of the 3 plastic tubes that are inside this humidor, but I am not sure that they are right about this. After 2 months of having the plastic tubes inside the humidor, the plastic odor has NOT gone away. It's still there and it's strong enough to smell when you stick your face inside the humidor and take a deep whiff.

I would like to know if this odor is going to get inside my cigars and penetrate the cigars and ruin them? This is what I am really afraid of here. Each of the 3 plastic 4 ounce tubes that I currently have sitting inside this particular humidor contain 70% humidity beads inside them to keep the humidity level inside the humidor at 70%. I have no room to take the 70% beads out of the plastic tubes and to put them inside anything else. Currently, the 3 plastic tubes which I have inside the humidor are space savers for me because the room inside this particular humidor is very tight.
I have 8 boxes of VERY expensive cigars in this particular humidor and it's going to be a real shame if the plastic odor that the tubes emit penetrate and get inside my cigars. I am going to be Bullsh*t about it.

Is anybody in here familiar with Viper's plastic tubes that have the humidification beads in them?
Do you think that the plastic odor which the tubes emit inside my 400+ count footlocker style humidor is going to be a problem and penetrate inside my cigars? I need to make use of this particular humidor and I am unable to get another humidor. Please also be advised that I do NOT want to tranfer any of these expensive boxes of cigars into a tupperdor.

Please give me your input about this.

Thanks,
George G.