Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
Poohdvm
Club Member

Been Playing my old records!

I finally got my turntable hooked up and started playing some of my records, some I bought years ago but have never listened to them. Its been great to get into my collection.

Here are some of the albums I have recently found and enjoyed:

Little Feat; Time Loves a Hero. This is a fun album. I have never been a big Little Feat fan but this album makes me glad that I have a few more of their releases to check out.

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band; Will The Circle Be Unbroken: Triple Album with guest appearance of some old bluegrass and country artists like, Roy Acuff, Mother Mabelle Carter, Doc Watson and Earl Scruggs just to name a few. This is a really neat release. Its cool that some of the songs have the banter of the musicians talking about the history or how to approach the song.

Willie Nelson: Shotgun Willie; I'm not a country music fan but I have come around to Willie in the past few years. I really like his "Milk Cow Blues" CD Release. Lots of good stuff on this album. My favorite is his cover of Leon Russels " A Song For You".

More to come as I advance through my collection.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:55 AM   #2
Poohdvm
Club Member

I finally got to listen to some New Release vinyl that I have had for a while.

Clutch is one of my favorite bands and I have most of their stuff on CD. I alo have their "Blast Tyrant" release on vinyl. I am hearing things that I have never heard on the CD release. On the Song "The Regulator" It begins with an acoustic guitar intro. I can hear the player readjusting the guitar or himself to play. I have more new release vinyl to get into. (Buddy Guy and R.L Burnside).

I also played some Frank Zappa this past weekend. It has been 25yrs since I have listened to Zappa and my understanding of his music hasn't improved.
Listened to "Mothers of Invention". Intricate music but I just can't make myself like it.
Also listened to "Bongo Fury" Live with Captian Beafheart. This one I liked a little more.
I will keep trying to get into Frank Zappa. I Respect him and his music It's just hard for me to understand it.

Flock of Seagulls, lol I don't know WHY!
Cherry Bombz "Hot Girls In Love".. Mid 1980's hair band. The album only had 2 songs on each side,lol.
Vinnie Moore "Time Odyssy". There is some great Guitar shredding on this release.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #3
Poohdvm
Club Member

More new records this week. Now I've been on a blues kick.

R. L. Burnside "Too Bad Jim" and " Mr. Wizard". Both on Limited ed. 180 gram vinyl. These are some thick records. Some great old hill country blues on these releases. I am glad Fat Possum Records brought R.L. back to recording. I have several of his other releases on cd. Especially like "Ass pocket full of Whiskey" cd where he collaborates with the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.

Buddy Guy " Skin Deep". One of a few old bluesmen we have left and he still got it. Nice set of blues songs. Double album released in 2008
Old 03-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #4
Poohdvm
Club Member

Had a few more cigar and music sessions this weekend. Here are a few of the albums I listened to.

Queensryche: "Operation Mindcrime" and "Promised Land". Operation Mindcrime is a classic from these guys and still holds up today. Great Metal/Hard rock album.

Elvin Bishop: "Hometown boy makes good". Sort of blues/country with some funk beats mixed in. Fun album.

Simply Red: "Picture Book". Other than the hit "Holding back the years" the album didn't keep my attention.

The Kinks "Preservation Act 2" A concept album. Kind of weird album. Hard to listen to.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:59 AM   #5
Poohdvm
Club Member

Played an album last night of some trippy Psychedelic music by a band called "Chamaeleon Church" 1968. Looked on the back and CHEVY CHASE is on drums. LOL. There is a picture on the back of a very young Chevy Chase and the other 3 band members. Never know what you gonna find.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #6
Smokestack Jack
Herf God

I got out my old "Incense and Pepperments" album by the Strawberry Alarm Clock. That sure did bring back some memories!
Old 07-11-2017, 11:38 AM   #7
Poohdvm
Club Member

Been busy but finally had time to set down and listen to some old albums.
Played some odd stuff this time around.

Roy Clark and Gatemouth Brown: Makin Music. Recorded live in studio. Wow! Didn't know what to expect but this was a Great album. They had the Memphis horns behind them along with some backup singers. Much of it has that "Chicago blues" feel to it. Other times it drifts to Texas blues. Lots of fun to listen to.

Guy Mann-Dude:
I bought this album just because of the name of the Artist!
Typical eighties guitar shredder from Germany. No vocals just lots of ripping and shredding up and down the neck of the Flying V.

One of my favorite vinyl finds is a collection of 9 "King Buiscuit Flower Hour" Radio shows. These must have been the albums they sent to the Radio stations to broadcast the show with. These are from the Mid-1980's. Its funny because they even have comericals in them. Listened to the Albert King show this time around.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #8
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Are you going through an established collection or are you buying new vinyl? I have had very good luck finding rare records in unbelievable condition at estate sales over the years. I wish my amp was functional. I was enjoying my collection before I blew the vintage Carver. Suppose I should start hunting for a new one as well as an old Dynaco preamp. After 20+ years, I finally got the whole mess reassembled and not a month later blew the amp.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #9
Poohdvm
Club Member

This is my collection BigO. I also hit a lot of garage sales and estate sales in the "90's and early 2000's. Even found good stuff at flea markets. Now that hipsters have gotten in to vinyl, prices have gone from a $1.00 to 5 to 10 dollars or more. I was buying even though I didn't have my turn table hooked up. Now with it hooked up, I have been going through and playing stuff I haven't listened to. Hell I'm finding stuff I forgot I bought!!!

Nothing fancy with my stereo set up. Pioneer stuff. I am on the look out for a better setup but concerned about condition and the cost of repair.
My set up is in the garage so I worry about heat hurting expensive equipment.
I do have a Denon amp but its in the house. Once I get the garage climate controlled then I may move the Denon out there.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #10
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

That's cool. I still love digging through stacks of LPs. We have a good vintage record store on the square that's a fun way of blowing a Saturday afternoon.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote