Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Black Pearl Morado Torpedo

Black Pearl Morado Torpedo (Piramide)

Fabricated by: La Perla Habana Cigars
Blend concept: Rafael Guerra
Dimensions: 6.25 inches long by 52-ring gauge
Wrapper: Cameroon
Binder & Filler: Nicaraguan
Review Date: Tuesday August 5th, 2008

This cigar marked my second encounter (the first being the smaller Toro) with this line, once again courtesy of the generosity of Mark (Cigar Weekly's rdking). I was also fortunate in being presented with an ideal summer evening while reposing on the back porch. Breezes gently wafted in from the west, and a multitude of swallows chirped while busily sweeping across the sky in an evening quest for food. Events were apparently 'conspiring' to create a perfectly relaxing atmosphere.

I elected to pour a generous glass of Blandy's 1977 Bual, a vermilion-mahogany toned elixir possessing that all-too-rare combination of richness, lightness and length. The Madeira proved a fine accompaniment, serving to accentuate the core tobacco taste of the cigar as well as helping to elicit its cedar and citrus nuances. The entire smoking session lasted beyond an hour.

The construction quality of the Torpedo was exemplary, the finger feel decidedly firm and the combustion characteristics faultless. I took note of the predominant black walnut hue, interspersed here and there with burnt umber, of the wrapper. The veins, though extremely dark in colour, coursed over the outer leaf in sienna-highlighted channels. Fine tooth and a semi-gloss sheen completed the picture.

The Black Pearl gave off a somewhat honeyed and nutty, pastry-like pre-light fragrance that positively reminded me of Baklava. And the nutty aspect carried over into the pre-light draw, acquiring additional cedar overtones.

Upon lighting, the Morado displayed a solid medium-bodied spectrum of initial flavours, with ripe, rich tobacco teetering on the edge of overt sweetness. Nut-infused earthiness then appeared along with hints of cedar and spice, all cloaked in a creamy textural blanket. I could not help but take note of the effortless elegance of this overture.

Further on, the first traces of underlying citrus emerged to gently counterbalance the overall sensation of soft, velvety roundness.

During the latter portion of the smoke, a more palpable thrust of toasted tobacco upped the ante, providing for a very satisfying finish.

This Black Pearl Morado Torpedo shares many traits with the smaller Toro, not the least of which is an easy-going demeanour that would appeal to a wide range of cigar lovers. And while the Torpedo may not send shivers up your spine in terms of its excitement factor, it proves its mettle in other ways, including its lovely amalgamation of aroma and flavour.

Highly enjoyable.

Thanks so much, Mark.